Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Possible answers to one of Many Questions in my life
I've been questioning since last summer (after taking J to the naturopath that actually had some answers for us), why newborns get jaundice. A healthy newborn, who is developed in every other way and is born on or close to their due date, should not have an "immature liver" as every bit of research I've found has claimed. To me this just doesn't make sense. (and I'm that "need to know why" girl from a few posts ago). Anyways, just reading a book yesterday, I finally came across an answer that makes sense to me, and isn't the same as everyone in the medical field would like to tell. So, I'll share it word for word, and I am doing more research to verify these results, although this book is very well referenced and the results of the studies are cited in the references. To quote: "Severe fluid overload causes jaundice because excess fluid swells and bursts (baby's) red blood cells. Jaundice results from excess circulating levels of bilirubin, a yellow pigment and a breakdown of red blood cells." So, the 3 liters of fluid I received while in labor could have quite likely caused this problem, not my baby's liver itself. I'm researching more, but am thrilled that I at least have one answer that is a solvable problem, and hopefully will be able to avoid it with the next baby. Not an exciting blog note for you likely, but huge step forward for me.