Monday, April 20, 2009

The pleasure of magazines

Often I wish that I read more, but it seems I have such trouble finding good books and when I do, I devour them and then am in the same predicament as before. Maybe my criteria is too high (wholesome, somewhat realistic if fiction or nonfiction, teaches lessons, etc) but I usually end up frustrated and then don't read again for months if I get a dud. So this is where the pleasure of magazines comes in. It was once noticed at my house how many subscriptions I had (by a friend) and I told her that I just love magazines. They come straight to my house, they are reasonably cheap (I also recycle them a magazine swap at the library when done, so get many more than I pay for) and I never feel I've wasted too much time if the articles aren't what I hoped they'd be. It's also great with small kids, since you get distracted so much that even if you have to start the article over, you also haven't wasted too much time. And the pictures are usually worthwhile to look at. And I can retain the small amounts of information from them if needed, instead of trying to remember the plot, or storyline, or what character is doing what. They are typically more applicable and useful to my life right now than a book would be as well. Sure...it would be nice to stay up late and get lost in a great novel, but for now I'll just be happy with my magazines.