Friday, April 17, 2009
Love
Today my boy asked me, "why does Jesus live in our hearts?", and I answered him, "because He loves us so much, and wants us to share this love with others." I went on to say that it's because of that love that we can love others so much, and we can share it because we have so much to give. Kind of a long explanation for an almost 4 year old, but I got thinking about it, and it always fascinates me how love works. The more you have, the more you want to give away. The less you have, the more you need, but you can still give plenty away. If you think you don't need love, you likely need alot of it. Jesus is our ultimate example of love, and He died for us. That's alot of love. I think as parents we would hope we can love our children and spouses that much, but then could we really? We're human just like everyone else, subject to all the weaknesses we seem to have. Love cannot be hoarded, it must be shared. And what a feeling when your heart is so full of love, that it feels it will burst. What a wonderful thing. I remember that with the birth of each of my boys (and look forward to again) to say with the Psalmist, "my cup runneth over."