My parents were here last weekend, and I was reminded again what a blessing it is to have had a Godly example. Life is hard enough, that guidance is so necessary. Thinking back, I can recall a few quotes that they said over the years, that have stuck with me. I'll post them for you, that they may benefit you as well.
Dad: “Never lower your standards for anyone” He meant this in terms of values, and I learned rather quickly after leaving home that every time I did, I lost respect for myself, and the people around me also did. It can be used in the context of remaining pure, compromising morals, or shady business tactics. Whatever the case, I’ve found this statement very important in many life situations. He also taught us that we were not only valuable to him and Mom, but more so to Jesus Christ. When we realize we’ve been bought with the price of Jesus’ dying on the cross for us, that can also make us think twice about making a foolish decision.
Dad: “I raise my kids to be leaders, not followers. I want them to set the trends, not follow them.” I especially remember this when we wanted a new piece of fashionable clothing or the “toy of the year”. I don’t recall any of us kids being leaders when we were young, but as adults, none of us are afraid to stand up for truth, be different in idea or lifestyle; each being led by the Lord above all trends or traditions. My Dad also has never wavered to what is the latest, and has often been criticized for that. But, it's also what has made him the man he is. Listening to God and the Bible rather than the fickleness of men.
Dad: “Give it 20 years” Whenever asked why he was doing what he was doing, he looked long term. What will the results be in 20 years? Will a shortcut now, be paid for in the long run? Will saving me time/energy now reap the rewards I want? This helps me today make decisions for my children.
Mom: “Be friends with people who need you, and don’t worry so much about those who don’t” As people, we always want to fit in. When you’re a child, that means fitting in with the popular people. And usually the popular people aren’t the best friends. They aren’t loyal, they usually don’t need friendship and are often more likely to ditch you if a better friend comes along. Friends who need you (and you need them) stick together. You stick up for each other, and you stand by each other. I learned this lesson in 5th grade when we had to pick groups for our camping field trip. We each had to pick who was to sleep in what tent. My 2 friends and I had our tent situation picked out, and were going to have a great time. A new “geeky” girl in the class named Samantha didn’t have a tent group, so my Mom made me ask her to come with us. How humiliating. I was utterly embarrassed until the actual camping trip when it started pouring rain and everyone was soaking wet in their tents all evening, and my group was warm and dry in Samantha’s grandma’s (who came as a chaperone) camper drinking hot chocolate and eating smores cooked over her stove. That was a lesson to me. You never know when being kind will pay you back, so you always should do the right thing even if you don’t want to. It may never pay you back either, but the Bible tells us to “for as much as ye have done it unto the least of them, ye have done it unto Me.”
Mom: “Remember, Jesus is with you wherever you go.” This was a comfort when I inadvertently got myself into predicaments that I didn’t know how to get out of. It was also a conscience pricker when I willfully defied what I knew was wrong. Either way, it’s a good reminder for us all to remember.
Dad: "Daylight in the swamp". Not sure the meaning of that, but he used it every morning to wake us up. His Dad said it too apparently, as I recall my uncles using it when we had sleepovers. ;)