Thursday, October 1, 2009
We dread the cornbread
I have a long standing history with bad cornbread. I recall being 17, staying at my cousin's house for the summer helping out, and making cornbread as instructed by my aunt. My younger cousin refused to eat it. His elder sister made fun of it, but at least humored me and ate it. Over the years I've tried every recipe I can, and they all come out mediocre at best. Usually too dry, sometimes too flat, often doughy in the middle and overdone around the edges. Adding real corn helps with the dryness, but usually you don't know if that will be a problem until it's cooked. Then there is the question of which pan to use. Do you use a smaller pan so it'll turn out thicker (and not be so dry), or a larger pan so that it it's thinner and cooks faster (I've heard the Pampered Chef stoneware ones are good, but don't have one). Or should I use muffin tins? And how hot should I cook it? Most recipes call for 400-425, but that never works for me either. Overdone around the edges, every time. Lowering the temp to 375 seems to help, and then increasing the time but I haven't been successful enough with that to even be sure that'll make it turn out. Adding an extra egg also helps with the moisture and fluffiness, but I still have the done on the edges/not done in the middle problem to contend to. Using honey instead of sugar helps increase the liquid (to reduce dryness), but I haven't yet mastered the right combination of everything to guarantee an enjoyable product. To me, the perfect cornbread is hearty, yet light and fluffy, thick (at least 2-3 inches) and moist, not too crumbly (a few are fine), and tastes good too. Is that too much to ask?? (I have had this at Julie's diner, so I know it does exist, just not in my house) Tonight I made a pretty good batch using my cousin M's recipe in the Kurtti cookbook, but it was still slightly underdone in the middle when the outside was at the right stage of doneness. But I haven't given up yet, and someday, a miracle just might happen.