In a continual attempt to spend less on groceries, while at the same time providing nutritious good tasting meals for my family, and also spending a minimum time in the kitchen; I have a "keeper" to share. It's meat free (which I'm experimenting with too), but hearty enough that you can't tell.
Black Beans & Rice
2 cans black beans or equivalent
20 oz frozen corn
2 c. rice
32 oz. salsa
3 c. tomato juice
1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t. oregano
Combine all in 9x13 pan, bake at 350 for 1 hour. Add cheese to top the last 15 minutes. Serve with extra salsa, sour cream and tortilla chips if desired.
I've tried it a couple times, and varied a few things in it. I found just so you have enough liquid for the rice to absorb, you're fine. Added extra veggies (peppers, onions), used canned diced tomatoes in place of salsa, etc. You could also likely do it in a slow cooker on low for about 4 hours, just enough time to cook the rice. This makes enough for our family for about 3 meals.
Dave Ramsey says the best way to save money is "rice and beans, beans and rice" so this fits that category. He also adds that if you're trying to get out of debt the only time you should see the inside of a restaurant is if you're working there as your second job. I like that, although we do enjoy eating out now and then.
I've also been wondering what other people cook, so maybe all you readers can post/comment what you cook every day next week. It'll help us each get new ideas, when our idea tanks have run dry! And sharing the recipe (if there is one) is great too!
I'll try to do it in the next post.