
With another baby on the way, I researched some better options. Some people recommended a sling, but I found that baby was always too loose in it (I tried padded and unpadded, disliked both the same), and it also hurt my neck. The baby was always on the verge of falling out, and I was uncomfortable. Not much fun either. Back to the stroller...which is bulky, heavy and doesn't fit in tight places (like home, for instance) So... this is how J got carried his babyhood. On my arm, or else I just sat in my new-at-the-time Lazyboy. Let's just say I did alot of sitting with him.

E has proven to me again the need to keep trying to find something to meet my babywearing needs. Recently I was at a garage sale where the lady was selling a BabyBjorn. I tried it on, it seemed comfortable, but my baby was asleep in the car and I wasn't about to wake her to see what it was like with her in it. I had finally decided not to buy it since it was too similar to the one that caused me all the neck and back pain, so I told her this and asked her how she had liked it. "Hated it, that's why I'm selling it" was her answer. When I delved into why, she had the same complaints as I, but did offer a solution. She said she loooved her Silly Goose carrier, and that her friend in Vancouver makes them, and that _____ is where they sell them. And that I should go to the Babywearing group in Vancouver because they have over 40 carriers to try on to see what I liked best. Well, I wasn't expecting that much information, but thanked her for sharing it. I did have her write down that information on the babywearing group though. That sounded like something I needed. It took a couple months before I actually got to a meeting, and although I felt a little uncomfortable driving to Vancouver just to look at baby carriers, I knew I had to meet these people who had mastered the art of a comfortable carrier and were willing to share that information. After arriving with my 3 little ones in tow, I started asking questions. The one lady answered every one of them better than I would have expected. I finally asked her if she would critique my 4 carriers I had with me (one was left at home), and she agreed to do so. The negatives she gave were exactly what I had been complaining (to myself and my dear everbearing husband) about. She lastly critiqued my latest carrier (made 2 weeks prior) and had nothing negative to say about it.
The last carrier (pictured below) was my own invention. It is technically called a mai tei (may tie), but I came up with the pattern myself after borrowing my chiropractors Ergo. I loved the Ergo, but they are far too spendy and I found out that they are best for trips around town and hiking, not everyday wearing around the house as they are too bulky. But, anyways, after borrowing the Ergo and taking the measurements off it, I made this one out of scraps from my fabric bin. I didn't want to buy fabric in case I didn't like it. But I love it! I wore her in it for 2 whole days at our Fall Services, and I didn't hurt anywhere the next day. Was tired- yes. Hurt- no. That has never happened before.
(Picture taken by L who is still an amateur at photography. I kept it though, as my hair was even less flattering than it is most days, so I'll just pretend it's purposely cropped like this)
Back to the babywearing group. They told me that the mai tei is the best carrier for home use, as it's easy to put on (crosses in the back and ties around the waist and then goes over shoulders and ties in the front again, which you can't really see from the picture), isn't bulky, and keeps the baby in a good ergonomic position. I have to say that E loves it. She can look up at me all day long, I can even nurse her in it, and she can sleep comfortably too.
In a small sidenote, I'll tell you what I learned about baby carriers.
-Front packs (such as my Infantino and BabyBjorn) keep the baby looking outwards, causing too much stimulation for babies for any length of time, and also hold baby up by the crotch which likely isn't too comfortable, all the baby's weight is on Mom's neck and shoulders.
-Slings -great for keeping in a diaper bag for quick trips, but must be made correctly. At least 3" rings (for maximum adjustability) and a strong but soft fabric (linen is one of the best). Mine had 2" rings, so I could never adjust them correctly. Padded slings are also not very adjustable because of their bulkiness. Weight on neck and shoulders
-Moby wraps -great for many purposes, but the one I had made used too light of fabric causing baby to feel like she was falling out. Make sure to use a very heavy knit if you buy your own fabric. Weight is evened out on neck, shoulders and hips
-Mai tei - great for all around wearing. Use a light canvas, something strong and durable. Make sure it has wide enough straps to bear the weight more evenly so it doesn't cut in to shoulders. Weight is mostly on hips, with shoulder straps only to hold baby in. (that was why I love it so much)
So, now E is a happy baby. She still only takes her two 15 minute naps a day, but at least I can carry her while I try to get stuff done. I just wish I'd known this stuff about 4 years ago. Would have saved me alot of chiropractor bills and headaches and Ibuprofen. I'm working on getting them now to do a workshop in Longview for us folks up here. Maybe we can even start our own group. You can check out their website at http://www.nwbabywearers.org/ or maybe find a group in your own town to start getting comfortable today.