Tuesday, October 6, 2009

In Search of Rubber Boots

I saw these boots by the front door the other day, and it prompted me to write down the story of them. It's not oh-so-thrilling, but I'm just satisfied that a discovery has been made. I will note however, that said boots were not in this neat order when I found them, much more strewn about...so much so that they wouldn't have fit in the same picture, as left there by their rightful owners.















In the Pacific Northwest, rubber boots for kids are a must. I had this notion when I moved here that my kids would only wear boots for play, not church, town, and other functions. I've been converted. They wear them everywhere (I still try to not let them wear them to church, but will admit they have). The trouble in this all comes because I'm so cheap, that I refuse to pay full price for anything. And that doubled with the fact that kids around here don't get rid of boots, they wear them out instead. So finding used ones is nigh on impossible. After forking over the full-price cash for one pair when my son needed some and I had discovered this fact of life, I vowed I wouldn't do that again and that he better wear them right out. Well, he did wear them out...in a matter of months. Sick. If this was how it went, I'd be buying about 3-4 pairs of $15 Made in China boots per year. Not only did this make me disgusted because of the money, but also because I try not to be a throw-away kind of person. Just not good stewardship. I'd rather buy quality, as it's just better overall.

This got me on the rubber boot hunt. I know you can buy good US made boots at farm supply stores, but they cost way too much for my budget. And they are boring. I wanted something so all my kids aren't fighting over whose boots are whose because they all look the same (strange fear, but I remember having to do this all the time as a kid, and someone getting one of their own boot and one of someone elses size). I did find a couple pairs at the Goodwill (of the cheap quality) so did snatch them up while I looked for a better product. I finally found what I was looking for in a thrift store up in Canada last summer. These boots are made in Canada, and are sturdier than anything you'll find around here. Plus, the hot item up there is winter boots, so rubber boots only have a short spring season, thus are not worn out and can be found in the thrift stores. Jackpot. I bought J some for a couple bucks, and L just got a pair now (he wore out his Goodwill ones in a matter of months again). So, from now on, my Mom is the rubber boot buyer. Cheap price, good quality and different colors. That's all I wanted. Now I'm a happy Mommy...in that area. I love it when a "dilemma" is solved. I have a million more to solve, but that will keep me appeased for a while. I hope.