Sunday, October 18, 2009

Scenes I Care Not to Repeat

The other day I had an incident that at the time wasn't funny, but now looking back makes me laugh because it reminded me of something funny. If you'll recall from the movie Dumb and Dumber, there is a scene where Harry is gassing up a car, and then haphazardly throws his cigarette into a pool of spilled gasoline. This ignites, and the flames catch his pants on fire. At the same time he is trying to get a girls phone number, and she is going on and on and on, trying to remember her number (as it had recently changed). He's trying to be polite, get the number and then get the fire out. She takes so long that finally he yells at her to just give him the number. She gets offended and drives off.

The scene I was in, a very nice lady called me and was giving me directions to her house that I needed. Baby E was fussing in my arms when she called, so I was trying to make the call as quick as possible. The lady asked, "do you want the address to Google it, or should I give directions". I told her that I'd take the address and call if I needed further directions. She proceeds to give the address and then turn by turn (with picture details so I'd know what houses are on her road) navigation all the way to her house. E is still fussing very much, crying loudly by this time right into the phone, but I can't adjust her because I'm dropping the phone with the other hand. I'm on the corded phone, and the base is hanging in midair, making the phone quite heavy. This nice lady apparently did not hear the screaming at all, as she continued to slowly and sweetly keep explaining. I tried my best to politely tell her that I'd be fine since I had the address, but she helpfully kept telling me how people always stop at the wrong house, and how people think that this certain building on the road is the house, but it's actually a shop, and how some people think that a travel trailer at the end of a driveway is their house, since they live in a manufactured house, and on and on... She finally finished and E was hanging precariously from one arm, and the phone from another, and I politely got off the phone. Whew. Thankfully I didn't have to resort to yelling "just give me the address" or something like that, even though in my head I did.

I'm tired and should be off to bed, but wasn't quite ready. Hopefully this makes sense, and you can see the similarities, although my pants weren't on fire! Oh, and by the way, holding that certain screaming baby is somewhat like holding a combination of wet bar of soap/pinching crab/marshmallow/20 lb barbell.