Saturday, January 3, 2015

Grocery Shopping Options

So, lately I've been trying to revamp our grocery situation.  This has been hard for me because (a) I don't have much extra brain power to accomplish such a task and (b) I've been doing the same thing for 9 years, and changing it is a bit daunting due to reason (a).  But, with 5 homeschooled kids (who are with me all day every day), it needed to be done.

For the past 9 years, I've gone to WinCo every 2 weeks with a list of 10 meals (1 for each weekday) and a list of all needed items.  I occasionally will go to other stores, but most times don't due to lack of energy and because we don't live in town where I can just run quickly to places.  This trip is exhausting, and with 5 kids, the cart gets fuller and fuller as the years go by.  The plus part is that my 3 oldest are now big enough to be a huge help, but the logistics of it all are quite daunting.  I've considered going every week, but then I'd miss another morning of schooling and in the afternoon I just don't have the energy.  All of our babies have hated the car seat, and even more so in the evening, so that hasn't been an option either.  I could go on the weekend, but just usually have other cleaning projects and home projects that need to be done then too.  Buying in bulk at places such as Costco are difficult too, since I have very limited storage for such items.

So, here's what options I've come up with and tried so far:
1)  Cash and Carry  This is a restaurant supply store with lots of bulk items which is right on Greg's way home from work.  He has offered to pick up stuff for me on his way home if needed, but I wanted to scope out their selection and prices first.  Here's what I found:
-store is small so not so tiring as a big one would be, parking lot is also small (+++)
-bathrooms are easily accessible (found that out on the first trip!) (+++)
-flatbed carts are a bit difficult to maneuver (put baby in stroller and big girl pushed her) (-)
-the workers box up your groceries AND deliver them into your car (big +++)
-some products are in too large of packaging and would be wasted as we can't use them fast enough 
-some prices are better, some comparable, some worse- all in all good
-not much for organic selection (-)
Yes, we will be using this option again in the future.  The neat thing about this is that ever since Greg became the treasurer of our church's Western Mission board, he got a new P.O. box in Kalama.  He randomly has been receiving Cash & Carry's flyer each week and so I've been reading it for a few months now.  The flyer is meant for the people who used to have that same P.O. box, but we've been getting it.  I don't believe this is an accident, and it's been priming me to pursue this option.

2) Walmart.com  It was suggested to me to pursue buying non-perishables online and this seemed to be the best option.  Free shipping over $50 to your home, and no limits.  I ended up spending about an hour online searching for the items (since it was my first time) and buying about 30 things that were on my list.  Here's what I found:
-to get free shipping you have to use the 9-14 day delivery option, so you must order enough in advance to get the items.  I ordered on Wednesday and we did get one big box today (4 days), so that made me pretty happy. (picture of box below)
-once I've ordered once, it'll be much quicker the next time (since I don't have to scroll items, just click and order).  Not sure if I can save lists or not, but it would be cool if I can.
-prices are comparable to WinCo (my best price option), but note that some things you must order in bulk (tuna in a 4 can pack for instance)
Yes, will be doing this again in the future.

3) Amazon Prime Pantry  We do not have Amazon Prime, so I was not able to try this (although I may if I use my free trial someday).  You pay $5.99 for a 4' cubic feet box of stuff from their options.  There is a lot of selection, but to me their prices were extremely varied.  Some pretty normal, some exorbitant.  Since Walmart delivered a much bigger box for free, I think I'll stick with them.  This is a nice option though.  Also, some things can be ordered from just plain old Amazon, but most pantry type items are now in the Pantry.

4) Azure Standard  This is a bulk foods/products privately owned company that delivers items once a month on a truck.  I've been interested in them before, but have never ordered.  I'm waiting for their catalog right now, and if it works out, I plan to order their bulk organic produce each month in the winter.  Things like apples, potatoes, carrots and other more hardy veggies and fruit.  We have an occasional drop point right here in Kalama (must have $500 to have a drop point), so if I can't pick up in Kalama, then there is one in Kelso too.  They have a ton of items available, and some prices are better, some are worse than other places.  Have any of you ordered produce from them?

5) Sam's Club Click 'n' Pull  We don't have a Sam's Club near us, but this is a great option if you do.  Order your items online before 5 p.m. the night before and they'll have your cart full and waiting for you the morning to check out.

6) Costco Many people use this option, but ours is over an hour away and we just haven't in the past.  We have had a membership in the past and then not used it once in the whole year we had it.  But, if you live near one, it's a great option too.  It's a big store, so isn't helpful if your energy is limited.

7) WinCo  This is where the rest of the groceries come from.  Great prices and I just love that store.  They even have kefir, grassfed butter (KerryGold), gluten-free options now.

8) Country Village Any specialty foods can usually be found here for a reasonable price.  They have sales all the time, so often if you wait/plan in advance you can get it for a great deal.  They are super knowledgeable and have helped me with many healthy alternatives and supplements.  Just love that store!  Did you read about Patty, one of their great cashiers?

Also, a lovely lady from our church who recently retired has offered to help me shop too.  Either to come with me or to watch kids while I shop.  I am certainly going to take her up on that offer!  My friend Jessica L. said that when her daughter was a baby, she and another older lady from church would grocery shop together.  Jessica would drive and the lady would help take care of the baby (and teach Jessica how to budget).  This is a great mentoring option, so if there is someone in your community/church that could help you (and you drive/pay for gas), this is a win/win situation.

We buy 1/2 of a grass-fed beef every year, and last year we also raised our own meat chickens, so that has been nice and healthy.  I also buy raw goats milk from a local farm which I freeze so that I only have to buy it every 3 weeks on our trips to the library in the next town.  I also buy our bread at the Franz Outlet on Saturdays when their organic bread is $1/loaf.  If I have freezer space, then I stock up.

So, that's what I've found out so far.  What do you do to save time/energy/money?  Anything I can add here or other options to pursue?