Sunday, January 4, 2015

"...Rachel weeping for her children, and would not be comforted, because they are not..."

The Biblical account of Jacob and Rachel (and Leah) has always piqued my interest due to my own name.  It also ties in with Matthew's account of the Christmas story, where the wise men visit baby Jesus.  I've often wondered why this was included, and though I don't claim to know the entirety of its significance, I do know that God fulfills His prophecies and His purposes to completion.  It touches my heart that God cared for His children back in Rachel's time, just as He does today.

The story of Rachel begins in Genesis 29, and in the interesting turn of events, Rachel is barren (verse 31).  God eventually did open her womb in His time, but then it was short lived in that she died in childbirth of her second son Benjamin. Genesis 35:16 "And they journeyed from Bethel; and there was but a little way to come to Ephrath: and Rachel travailed, and she had hard labour. 17 And it came to pass, when she was in hard labour, that the midwife said unto her, Fear not; thou shalt have this son also. 18 And it came to pass, as her soul was in departing, (for she died) that she called his name Benoni: but his father called him Benjamin.19 And Rachel died, and was buried in the way to Ephrath, which is Bethlehem."  

We see if we read the full account of Rachel's life, that she was very sorrowful and sad that she could not conceive for so many years.  She had her handmaid bear children for her (just as Sarah had in years past), but this was not helpful to her own situation.  Why this whole situation played out the way it did (Jacob marrying Leah and then Rachel) puzzles me, but it was all in God's plan for the saving of His people (Joseph in Egypt).

The old Testament prophecy in Jeremiah 31:15  Thus saith the Lord: “A voice was heard in Ramah, lamentation and bitter weeping; Rachel, weeping for her children, refused to be comforted for her children, because they were no more.”











Matthew 2: 16 "Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently inquired of the wise men. Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet, saying, 18 In Rama was there a voice heard, lamentation, and weeping, and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children, and would not be comforted, because they are not."
I write all of this because I know there are many women today weeping for their children (because they are not).  Whether through infertility, miscarriage, abortion, stillbirth, singleness, birth control against their heart's desires, or regrets from not having more children during childbearing years; there is much sadness in the hearts of women today.  We can trust in the same God of Rachel and Sarah and Hannah and Elizabeth and know that God cares.  He IS the Comforter.  He will come to you.  

Jesus says,  John 14:16 "And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you."  The world cannot offer comfort to a heart that is longing or hurting so deeply.  It cannot offer peace to a soul in despair.  It may offer medical advances or some forms of hope, but it cannot in any way fill that void that is there because a baby "is no more" or "is not", but Jesus can.

John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."