Thursday, January 22, 2015

Nadine's Corny Cluck Soup

It must be the week for chowders.  Here's another favorite from my late Aunt Nadine Kurtti.  It's also in the Kurtti cookbook (my favorite cookbook,  in case you hadn't noticed yet!)  This one uses ingredients you will usually have on hand too.  I like that!

Nadine's Corny Cluck Soup

2 T. butter
6 cremini mushrooms, sliced (I just use white ones), you can even leave out if you're not a mushroom fan
1 med. red or yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
2 T. flour
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. ground black pepper
approx. 14 oz. chicken broth
2 c. half & half
2 pkg. frozen white sweet corn
approx. 2 c. cooked chicken, chunked

In saucepan, melt butter (Dutch oven if you have one).  Add onions first, then mushrooms, stirring until tender, about 5 minutes.  Add garlic; cook 1 min.  With wire whisk, whisk in flour, salt and pepper, cook, stirring until bubbly.  Stir in broth and 1/2 & 1/2; heat to boiling over high heat.  Reduce heat, add corn and chicken, heat through.  Makes about 8 servings.  For variation, you can also add red potatoes after liquid step, letting them cook before adding corn and chicken.

PS.  If you haven't guessed, I use stock pictures for these soups.  Like I have the time or talent to take good ones myself!