Saturday, October 11, 2008
The Country Village Lady
Due to my youngest sons itching, sleep issues, allergies, etc., I've had to visit our local health food store, The Country Village, alot more often than I have wanted to admit this past year. Trying to find foods he could eat (wheat free teething biscuits, anyone?), things to make his eczema go away, things to help him sleep, things to help his digestion, etc. Every time I'd go in, I'd skeptically try to find something new to try in hopes that it would help. And pretty much every time I went, there was this clerk named Patty who would comment on how good the boys were, how cute they were, what good helpers they were, and so on. I never thought about it until much later, but it really gave me a boost to hear those things, as it was a long depressing winter with a sleepless baby and a Mom who didn't know what to do. The pediatrician was of no help, and most advice given was meant to be helpful but didn't help. The Mommy guilt of a having a baby who itched most of the time, and woke up usually 10 times a night (at least) had taken it's toll and I think that's where much of my prayer skeptism came in, because nothing seemed to help or make anything better. Anyways, just this week I was in Country Village again, and the boys each had a bottle they were carrying for me to the checkout, when Patty again commented on what good helpers they are, and how wonderful it is to let them help, and how she loves it when we come in the store as it really brightens her day. I finally had a chance to tell her it was she who brightened my days last winter (and I ended up crying as I was telling her that), as I usually ended up in the store in a last ditch effort to try something new this time. When she would say nice things to me, it made me feel like "yes, I can do it" rather than being downhearted because nothing ever seemed to be looking up. I have a calendar and it says on it "Never underestimate the power of a kind word". That totally sums up Patty at the Country Village. I am thankful to report that the last treatment plan with James is working, and he is almost itch-free and is sleeping through the night (most of the time).