Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Teachable Moments

I love how life sometimes just comes together. Teaching kids various skills and attributes takes being on guard all the time for teachable moments. Sometimes it seems like they never get what you're trying to teach, but then the light comes on, and "Voila!" the concept is grasped.

Every night we read a Bible Story book to the kids before bed. Sometimes the stories are easily applicable to life, other times more of a history lesson. A couple weeks ago we read about King Solomon and his wisdom. How the 2 women came to him with the baby, and were fighting over who's baby it was. Solomon said, "cut the baby in 2 and then you can each have 1/2". The one woman said, "yes, do it" and the other woman said, "no, I'd rather give the baby away and have him live, than to let him die". Through this, Solomon knew who the true mother of the baby was. (the second woman, of course)

The next day, my boys were fighting over a ball. It seemed that no matter who had the ball, the other one wanted it. So, I suggested that I cut the ball in 2, and they could each have half. They thought for a minute, and decided to give Mom the ball so that neither of them would have it (our rule in this house for fighting over a toy). Then later that day, they were squabbling over their parking garage and who was supposed to be playing where. I again suggested we cut it in 2 so they could each play separately with their 1/2. They thought again and decided they could play nicely together, because a parking garage with only 1/2 a ramp does little good for anyone.

It's been a few weeks, and they still play nicely most of the time. I only have to suggest slightly that we should "cut something in 2" and they quickly find their own solution to whatever problem they may be facing. I love seeing them think their behavior through, rather than me just giving an ultimatum or rule, with no reason that they can see.