I'm likely just going to be rambling here, but haven't written in a while, so thought I should get some thoughts down (for my own mental release more than anything). I do talk to my sisters often (they seem to be the best thing for sharing your thoughts, since husbands often don't want to hear about bread baking, yogurt making, honing the budget (well, some like that), fashion (my topic today), etc.)
I haven't been on the computer much lately, and I've been happier for it. It seems that although I get updated with news and information via email and Facebook, I also hear all the sad news too. Then I'm concerned (I'm not a worrier, and wouldn't classify my thoughts as worrying) over what he or she should do about such-and-such situation. Too much information in my life, is what it really comes down to. I need to focus on my husband and my family's needs, and limiting the computer time seems to be accomplishing what I want it to. (Read my cousin A's blog http://teafortwoplease.blogspot.com/2010/05/learning-to-entertain-oneself-via-detox.html
on my favorites link about it, as it was what actually clued me in to what might be happening. The computer was controlling my life (not totally, but enough so that I felt in bondage), rather than just being a gentle asset when I needed it. Plus, summer is officially here (not so much weather wise, but calendar wise) and who wants to spend time facing a screen when facing the sunshine is a better option?
So, on the fashion note. Not sure what to think. My first question likely should be- How much should fashion be a part of our life? Especially a Christian's life. How much should we be set apart from the world, and how much should we fit in with the culture around us? I know that there is no hard and fast answer to any of the above questions, but I've been asking myself this for quite some time. Our society seems to have lost all modesty and self-respect, so how do we maintain a standard? How much are we influenced by the media, what the stores sell, and other marketing ploys?
I've read stories from the very plain (Amish, Mennonite) folk, who claim that they are free to wear their plain clothes, and how liberating it is to not be a slave to fashion. I also see a self-righteousness sometimes with this way of dressing. I also have seen the other side (mostly from young women) who claim they are "free" to wear whatever their little heart desires, sleazy as it may be. So, where should we be? I've never felt a slave to fashion, nor claimed to even have any fashion sense whatsoever. I wear what I like, what I feel good in, and what is decent in my mind.
After all that, I've been doing some experiments. First one: Can I wear a dress/skirt every day? What are the pros and cons to doing so? So, I tried it for 1 week, and here's what I found. 1) My husband really liked it. Complimented me much more often than usual. (+)
2) People in stores treated me better. Men opened doors for me, old ladies smiled at me more than usual (compared to my pants self, which I've been for decades) (+)
3) I felt more feminine, and wanted a higher standard in my daily tasks. (+)
4) I could do all the chores, play with the kids, etc. that I normally do. I was not hindered in the least (which I had expected to be) (+)
5) My legs got cold; solved by wearing tights, leggings or high enough socks (-) turned into (+)
I haven't been on the computer much lately, and I've been happier for it. It seems that although I get updated with news and information via email and Facebook, I also hear all the sad news too. Then I'm concerned (I'm not a worrier, and wouldn't classify my thoughts as worrying) over what he or she should do about such-and-such situation. Too much information in my life, is what it really comes down to. I need to focus on my husband and my family's needs, and limiting the computer time seems to be accomplishing what I want it to. (Read my cousin A's blog http://teafortwoplease.blogspot.com/2010/05/learning-to-entertain-oneself-via-detox.html
on my favorites link about it, as it was what actually clued me in to what might be happening. The computer was controlling my life (not totally, but enough so that I felt in bondage), rather than just being a gentle asset when I needed it. Plus, summer is officially here (not so much weather wise, but calendar wise) and who wants to spend time facing a screen when facing the sunshine is a better option?
So, on the fashion note. Not sure what to think. My first question likely should be- How much should fashion be a part of our life? Especially a Christian's life. How much should we be set apart from the world, and how much should we fit in with the culture around us? I know that there is no hard and fast answer to any of the above questions, but I've been asking myself this for quite some time. Our society seems to have lost all modesty and self-respect, so how do we maintain a standard? How much are we influenced by the media, what the stores sell, and other marketing ploys?
I've read stories from the very plain (Amish, Mennonite) folk, who claim that they are free to wear their plain clothes, and how liberating it is to not be a slave to fashion. I also see a self-righteousness sometimes with this way of dressing. I also have seen the other side (mostly from young women) who claim they are "free" to wear whatever their little heart desires, sleazy as it may be. So, where should we be? I've never felt a slave to fashion, nor claimed to even have any fashion sense whatsoever. I wear what I like, what I feel good in, and what is decent in my mind.
After all that, I've been doing some experiments. First one: Can I wear a dress/skirt every day? What are the pros and cons to doing so? So, I tried it for 1 week, and here's what I found. 1) My husband really liked it. Complimented me much more often than usual. (+)
2) People in stores treated me better. Men opened doors for me, old ladies smiled at me more than usual (compared to my pants self, which I've been for decades) (+)
3) I felt more feminine, and wanted a higher standard in my daily tasks. (+)
4) I could do all the chores, play with the kids, etc. that I normally do. I was not hindered in the least (which I had expected to be) (+)
5) My legs got cold; solved by wearing tights, leggings or high enough socks (-) turned into (+)
Overall, I enjoyed it and have continued to wear them more often, although I will add that you have to find dresses/skirts that are comfortable, wrinkle proof, and that are not too dressy. Relaxed fits that you want to wear and still feel good in. All my "daily" skirts are either denim or corduroy. I also held a stereotype about denim jumpers, and that is why I hesitated doing this experiment for long. Didn't want to be classified as "one of those".
My other fashion thoughts go to my kids. When our eldest was born, I was very strict as to what kind of clothes he'd wear, and more specifically, what kind of clothes he wouldn't wear! Over the years, I've relaxed my "rules" to this: What do I want to look at all day every day? Because, as a Mom at home, you are the one looking (for good or for bad) at your kids shirts all day. At first I wanted only farm animals, camping scenes, minimal sports themes, power equipment, and no licensed characters. Well, my favorite shirts that J just outgrew were a t-shirt with a martian landing on the moon, and a mummy all wrapped up that said, "I Love My Mummy". I've come a long ways!
My experiment with the kids was how I dressed them too. Usually they just wear a t-shirt and jeans/cords/shorts with tennis shoes/rubber boots. But, after I read the Duggar's book, Mrs. Duggar explained that she dresses her boys in "collared shirts" (usually polos, bought at thrift stores) because they look more respectable (in her opinion). I usually save those shirts for church, but have been putting them on the boys for town now, and the same reaction is happening as when I wear a skirt. The people treat us all better (today I was wearing jeans, so it must have been my smart looking boys). People go out of their way to say how nice the boys look (and act, if they are acting nice), rather than the usual comment "my, you've got your hands full". It also happens when Elise is in a dress/skirt. So, my conclusion is (this is a no-brainer) : If you want to make a difference, dress up a bit, and your kids too. You'll all feel better when the day is done, and it doesn't take any more time than just putting different clothes on in the morning!
One of my bro-in-laws told his wife that he felt that what she wore was a reflection on him. I had never thought of that before she told me. He felt that if she dressed sloppy, people would think that he didn't treat her very nice, so she didn't have the confidence to even dress decent. We are our husbands jewel, so lets make them proud of their family! It's so easy to get lazy in this area (for me anyways).
PS The thing that actually got these thoughts started was a website that a friend told me about. Darling clothes that make any kid look good. The clothes are hand made by this friend of a friend. Apparently she has lots of famous people that pay alot of money for these clothes, although I'm going to try to either make my own, or find stuff to get that look at garage sales, etc. Check them out.
http://edensbouquet.com/
Any thoughts on the topic welcome....
My other fashion thoughts go to my kids. When our eldest was born, I was very strict as to what kind of clothes he'd wear, and more specifically, what kind of clothes he wouldn't wear! Over the years, I've relaxed my "rules" to this: What do I want to look at all day every day? Because, as a Mom at home, you are the one looking (for good or for bad) at your kids shirts all day. At first I wanted only farm animals, camping scenes, minimal sports themes, power equipment, and no licensed characters. Well, my favorite shirts that J just outgrew were a t-shirt with a martian landing on the moon, and a mummy all wrapped up that said, "I Love My Mummy". I've come a long ways!
My experiment with the kids was how I dressed them too. Usually they just wear a t-shirt and jeans/cords/shorts with tennis shoes/rubber boots. But, after I read the Duggar's book, Mrs. Duggar explained that she dresses her boys in "collared shirts" (usually polos, bought at thrift stores) because they look more respectable (in her opinion). I usually save those shirts for church, but have been putting them on the boys for town now, and the same reaction is happening as when I wear a skirt. The people treat us all better (today I was wearing jeans, so it must have been my smart looking boys). People go out of their way to say how nice the boys look (and act, if they are acting nice), rather than the usual comment "my, you've got your hands full". It also happens when Elise is in a dress/skirt. So, my conclusion is (this is a no-brainer) : If you want to make a difference, dress up a bit, and your kids too. You'll all feel better when the day is done, and it doesn't take any more time than just putting different clothes on in the morning!
One of my bro-in-laws told his wife that he felt that what she wore was a reflection on him. I had never thought of that before she told me. He felt that if she dressed sloppy, people would think that he didn't treat her very nice, so she didn't have the confidence to even dress decent. We are our husbands jewel, so lets make them proud of their family! It's so easy to get lazy in this area (for me anyways).
PS The thing that actually got these thoughts started was a website that a friend told me about. Darling clothes that make any kid look good. The clothes are hand made by this friend of a friend. Apparently she has lots of famous people that pay alot of money for these clothes, although I'm going to try to either make my own, or find stuff to get that look at garage sales, etc. Check them out.
http://edensbouquet.com/
Any thoughts on the topic welcome....