Saturday, April 3, 2010

Yum, yum, yum

A couple years ago I had some airmiles from an airline I rarely used, and they told me that because I didn't have enough to fly anywhere, that I could use them up with magazine subscriptions. I ended up with one of those super glossy paged magazines with most stuff in it out of my price range and out of my lifestyle. Although...in one magazine some delicious looking cakes were featured, so I tore out the recipes for future use (I have many good intentions, some of which get fulfilled, others which never do).

So, that summer when my in-laws were up, we decided to bake a cake for a friends birthday. After going through the article, I asked my mother-in-law which cake we should bake. She didn't hesitate, but said, "the coconut one". So we did. It turned out dee-licious. Later that summer I was at my parents in Alberta, and asked my Mom which cake she'd like me to make for her birthday. She also didn't hesitate, "the coconut one". Goody. I get to make it again.. That would have been my choice both times too, even though the other ones looked and sounded fabulous. But, I haven't made it since (nor done much other baking due to an unnamed baby who doesn't like to sleep long enough ever).

In choosing a dessert for Easter, I chose to make it again. It's in the oven baking right now, and I can't wait to taste it. I'm not sure the significance of making coconut cakes at Easter, but it seems to be a tradition. Will have to look that one up. But, since you can't have a slice of my divine cake, you can order one yourself from the lady who came up with the recipe for a mere $50 plus shipping. I can post the recipe if anyone's interested, but check the website out. It looks just wayyy too tempting.

http://www.veryvera.com/


Coconut Layer Cake with Coconut Icing

1 c. unsalted butter at room temperature
2 c. granulated sugar
4 large eggs at room temperature
3 c. unsifted cake flour
3 t. baking powder
1/8 t. salt
1 1/2 c. whole buttermilk at room temperature
1 t. vanilla extract
1 t. coconut extract
cooking spray/flour for pans

Heat oven to 350F. In electric mixer on medium speed, cream butter and sugar for 20 minutes, or until light and fluffy. On low speed, add eggs one at a time, incorporating after each addition, and scraping sides of bowl and bottom. In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt. Alternate additions of flour mixture and buttermilk to ingredients in mixer, beginning and ending with flour. Add extracts, scraping sides and bottom of bowl to incorporate all ingredients. Mix well. Spray 3-9" round cake pans, with cooking spray, dust with flour and tap out excess. Divide batter among prepared pans. Bake 15-20 min or until top is firm to touch and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Flip layers on wire racks to cool. Cool completely before icing.

For icing:
1/3 c. unsalted butter, softened
2/3 c. cream cheese, softened
1 t. coconut extract
2 t. vanilla extract
3/4 c. unsifted 10x powdered sugar
3 c. sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 c. toasted coconut for garnish
In mixer on low, cream butter for 1-2 minutes. With mixer on medium, add cream cheese. Cream butter and cheese together until light and fluffy, scraping sides and bottom of bowl to incorporate all ingredients. With mixer on low, add extracts and blend smooth. Add sugar a 1/4 cup at a time mixing after each addition until smooth and creamy.
To finish cake: Place one layer of cake on a serving dish and ice with 1/3 of icing. Repeat with remaining layers. Use remaining icing to cover cake. Press flaked coconut by hand onto top and sides. Sprinkle top with toasted coconut.

My notes: I would make at least twice that amount of icing, even 3 times. It is so tasty, and as you can see, this recipe doesn't make near enough. Also, toasting all the coconut would likely make it much tastier, as it just makes the flavors come out more.

Here's another Classic Coconut Cake recipe that looks fantastic, it was featured in the latest Better Homes and Gardens. I haven't made it, but want to!

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/layer-cakes/coconut-cake-with-frosting/