The past couple weeks, I have been attending a cake decorating course. With 3 kids birthdays in the next month, I figured that I had better learn the basics if I want any satisfaction to come of decorating. I've been able to avoid cakes thus far, either by doing sundaes, cupcakes or angel food cake with bananas, strawberries and whipped cream (James' request last year); but knew I'd need to learn to decorate properly some time. Well, actually, I wanted to learn sometime.
I was at Michael's buying their basic kit with my 50% coupon to go and attempt it at home on my own, but then saw that they offered a course. Hooray! Someone to teach me the basics without too much time or effort. I just had to find a babysitter. I was able to do that, so signed up the next chance I got.
I've attended 2 classes now (of 4) and here's my first attempt. For those of you who do elaborate cakes, please don't laugh. This was my first one, and although the sun is quite off center, the rest turned out to my liking. I also learned the one thing I wanted to know, which is how to keep the crumbs out of your icing. And the difference between the consistencies of icing. Stuff I never would have figured out on my own, and would have given up long before I ever learned them!

This week we learn how to do roses, so that'll be challenging, I'm sure. This is the first course I've taken since becoming a mom, so the learning curve is definitely noticeable. I don't see myself doing wedding cakes any time soon, but should be able to tackle the car carrier (James' request this year) and football (Luke's request this year, if it doesn't change). We'll see. I might end up picking something in my "scope of practice", or whatever they teach me in the next classes. For this non-creative impatient person, it won't be too elaborate!
I was at Michael's buying their basic kit with my 50% coupon to go and attempt it at home on my own, but then saw that they offered a course. Hooray! Someone to teach me the basics without too much time or effort. I just had to find a babysitter. I was able to do that, so signed up the next chance I got.
I've attended 2 classes now (of 4) and here's my first attempt. For those of you who do elaborate cakes, please don't laugh. This was my first one, and although the sun is quite off center, the rest turned out to my liking. I also learned the one thing I wanted to know, which is how to keep the crumbs out of your icing. And the difference between the consistencies of icing. Stuff I never would have figured out on my own, and would have given up long before I ever learned them!
This week we learn how to do roses, so that'll be challenging, I'm sure. This is the first course I've taken since becoming a mom, so the learning curve is definitely noticeable. I don't see myself doing wedding cakes any time soon, but should be able to tackle the car carrier (James' request this year) and football (Luke's request this year, if it doesn't change). We'll see. I might end up picking something in my "scope of practice", or whatever they teach me in the next classes. For this non-creative impatient person, it won't be too elaborate!