"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight,
O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." Psalms 19:14
O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." Psalms 19:14
This verse was read at
church yesterday, and has been popping up in my head ever since. What an encouragement for us to follow God's standards, and keep our hearts and minds pure. Not that we can do it of our own strength, but through the faith God has given, we can be called His children. I think of how much I love my own sweet children, and then cannot even fathom that my Heavenly Father loves me so much more than that.
One thing I have decided, is that I will try not to blog at bedtime. The world is just too overwhelming, and problems seem insurmountable. In the morning everything is fresh and new and peaceful (yes, all 3 kids are still sleeping), and even looks doable.
On Saturday our family drove up to Seattle to attend a celebration of life for a lady we did not know. Her parents are friends of ours, so we wanted to be there for them. Their daughter passed away at age 44 from kidney disease. She had had a kidney transplant in her early 20's that had reached the end of it's life expectancy, so had been on dialysis since then. She ended up with many complications from the dialysis, was in much pain from the disease, and had told her dad last fall, "I just want to go home and be with my Saviour". She had become a believer about 10 years ago, and that was the source of her strength. Although a very sad time, it was also joyous, as her victory has been attained. Faith has become sight. It was a good reminder to us all, to be ready if our time should be near. She left a husband and daughter, as well as numerous other family members behind, but also left that legacy that Jesus is the only way, truth and way of life.
We decided to take a detour on our way home, to avoid Seattle traffic (they are doing construction, so everything was pretty slow), and headed out east and then south. We took back roads and enjoyed most of the drive. What normally would take 2-3 hours to get home ended up taking 6 (and we didn't even finish the drive, we got back on the freeway about an hour north of home). But, it got dark, so we figured that the scenery wasn't worth the time when we couldn't see it. Some friends of ours were driving with us, so that was fun to caravan. Elise didn't get a proper nap, so her attitude left much to be desired, but we enjoyed ourselves anyways. Drinking coffee, visiting, and having "quality family time". We took our little commuter car, so the kids were all crammed in the back seat where you could easily visit with them. Normally in our van, the boys ride way in the back where you have to yell for them to hear you and then crank your head around to hear their response. Fun for Greg and I to visit, but not so fun for them.
Yesterday was spent going to church, potluck dinner and then home for naps. In the evening we went to the park for a walk, and so the kids could ride bikes. It was a beautiful day, and I was still pretty tired/grouchy so a walk was the best thing for my attitude and frame of mind. I was glad Greg suggested it, because it did help immensely. Just to watch the river flowing smoothly along (the Columbia), feel the breeze on your face, watch the joy the children are having and visit with my husband...it doesn't get any better than that.
The sermon yesterday morning was so perfect for what I needed too. Our pastor spoke about when Thomas didn't believe that Jesus had really come back, and how we are all like him in some way, in yet God reveals himself for whatever need we have, so that we can have faith to believe as well. He mentioned that we need to pray that God's Word would be enough for us. That we wouldn't be satisfied with anything that did not feed our souls (empty calories, so to speak), but that God would fill us to overflowing through His Word and through His Power. But, that if we need more (like Thomas did) that He would give us that extra for our need at that time. He also used the comparison of going to his own father when he was a child to make right a wrong he had done. He expected his father to get angry, or to scold him. But instead, his father wrapped his arms around him, blessed him by telling him that all his sins had been forgiven and washed away, and never mentioned it again. How much more our Heavenly Father wraps His loving arms around us when we've done wrong, and we can go to a trusted friend and hear those words of assurance that our sins are also forgiven through Christ dwelling in our Christian brother or sister. What a great joy and blessing when we can verbally hear again and again, that we're forgiven. It's one thing to know it in our hearts, it's another to hear it proclaimed in our ears as well. This is true "freedom in Christ!"

The song coming to me now is "My Jesus knows just what I need, Yes He knows just what I need. He satisfies, and every need supplies, yes, He knows just what I need!" It's on my Elvis' gospel album, and I love it. He knows our needs, so much better than we know ourselves.
These pictures are from Easter Sunday. We were at my cousins house and they wanted us to take some family pics of them, so I had her take some of us too. My cousin had asked, "how did you get that suit on James?" I replied, "Kicking and screaming". He refused to put it on that morning, so I told him he didn't have to and that he could wear his normal church clothes. He was crying and didn't want those either, so I decided that if he's going to cry no matter what I put on, then I may as well put the suit on him. He looked so "smashing" in it!
PS I posted the Coconut Cake recipe on that post, for those interested ;)
church yesterday, and has been popping up in my head ever since. What an encouragement for us to follow God's standards, and keep our hearts and minds pure. Not that we can do it of our own strength, but through the faith God has given, we can be called His children. I think of how much I love my own sweet children, and then cannot even fathom that my Heavenly Father loves me so much more than that.One thing I have decided, is that I will try not to blog at bedtime. The world is just too overwhelming, and problems seem insurmountable. In the morning everything is fresh and new and peaceful (yes, all 3 kids are still sleeping), and even looks doable.
On Saturday our family drove up to Seattle to attend a celebration of life for a lady we did not know. Her parents are friends of ours, so we wanted to be there for them. Their daughter passed away at age 44 from kidney disease. She had had a kidney transplant in her early 20's that had reached the end of it's life expectancy, so had been on dialysis since then. She ended up with many complications from the dialysis, was in much pain from the disease, and had told her dad last fall, "I just want to go home and be with my Saviour". She had become a believer about 10 years ago, and that was the source of her strength. Although a very sad time, it was also joyous, as her victory has been attained. Faith has become sight. It was a good reminder to us all, to be ready if our time should be near. She left a husband and daughter, as well as numerous other family members behind, but also left that legacy that Jesus is the only way, truth and way of life.
We decided to take a detour on our way home, to avoid Seattle traffic (they are doing construction, so everything was pretty slow), and headed out east and then south. We took back roads and enjoyed most of the drive. What normally would take 2-3 hours to get home ended up taking 6 (and we didn't even finish the drive, we got back on the freeway about an hour north of home). But, it got dark, so we figured that the scenery wasn't worth the time when we couldn't see it. Some friends of ours were driving with us, so that was fun to caravan. Elise didn't get a proper nap, so her attitude left much to be desired, but we enjoyed ourselves anyways. Drinking coffee, visiting, and having "quality family time". We took our little commuter car, so the kids were all crammed in the back seat where you could easily visit with them. Normally in our van, the boys ride way in the back where you have to yell for them to hear you and then crank your head around to hear their response. Fun for Greg and I to visit, but not so fun for them.
Yesterday was spent going to church, potluck dinner and then home for naps. In the evening we went to the park for a walk, and so the kids could ride bikes. It was a beautiful day, and I was still pretty tired/grouchy so a walk was the best thing for my attitude and frame of mind. I was glad Greg suggested it, because it did help immensely. Just to watch the river flowing smoothly along (the Columbia), feel the breeze on your face, watch the joy the children are having and visit with my husband...it doesn't get any better than that.
The sermon yesterday morning was so perfect for what I needed too. Our pastor spoke about when Thomas didn't believe that Jesus had really come back, and how we are all like him in some way, in yet God reveals himself for whatever need we have, so that we can have faith to believe as well. He mentioned that we need to pray that God's Word would be enough for us. That we wouldn't be satisfied with anything that did not feed our souls (empty calories, so to speak), but that God would fill us to overflowing through His Word and through His Power. But, that if we need more (like Thomas did) that He would give us that extra for our need at that time. He also used the comparison of going to his own father when he was a child to make right a wrong he had done. He expected his father to get angry, or to scold him. But instead, his father wrapped his arms around him, blessed him by telling him that all his sins had been forgiven and washed away, and never mentioned it again. How much more our Heavenly Father wraps His loving arms around us when we've done wrong, and we can go to a trusted friend and hear those words of assurance that our sins are also forgiven through Christ dwelling in our Christian brother or sister. What a great joy and blessing when we can verbally hear again and again, that we're forgiven. It's one thing to know it in our hearts, it's another to hear it proclaimed in our ears as well. This is true "freedom in Christ!"
The song coming to me now is "My Jesus knows just what I need, Yes He knows just what I need. He satisfies, and every need supplies, yes, He knows just what I need!" It's on my Elvis' gospel album, and I love it. He knows our needs, so much better than we know ourselves.
These pictures are from Easter Sunday. We were at my cousins house and they wanted us to take some family pics of them, so I had her take some of us too. My cousin had asked, "how did you get that suit on James?" I replied, "Kicking and screaming". He refused to put it on that morning, so I told him he didn't have to and that he could wear his normal church clothes. He was crying and didn't want those either, so I decided that if he's going to cry no matter what I put on, then I may as well put the suit on him. He looked so "smashing" in it!
PS I posted the Coconut Cake recipe on that post, for those interested ;)