Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I've been sorting papers lately, and came across this article which I found very encouraging. It seems that I've needed alot of encouragement lately, as my mood leaves much to be desired. I keep hoping summer will come and I'll feel better, but know deep down that likely isn't the cause. My baby girl is sleeping *better*, but I lay there awake unable to sleep most of the nights, waiting for her to wake up (as has been her habit for so many months). This leads to the inability to cope, frustration with noise/disobedience/fighting among kids, etc. Praying for strength to be the mother I want to be, rather than one who gets irritated at everything. Even being around myself irritates me, and there has been little I can do to make me feel better/cheerier.

"The Apostle Peter wrote that we are kept by the power of God though faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations: That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honor and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ. (1 Peter 1:5-7) As we just read, we are kept by the power of God through faith unto our salvation. Today we face all manner of adversity. Our natural instinct is to question why we face these things rather than recognize that God wants us to direct our faith towards Him.

When a trial makes our future uncertain, we are tempted to look for some way to avoid enduring the trial. Then our faith would not be tested as to whether we are trusting in the flesh or in the Spirit. It is when we look inward that our trials become temptations. Care and anxiety come from within. They are not from God. Jesus said, Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body more than raiment? Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? (Matt 6:25-26) My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.(James 1:2-3) How difficult it is to wait on the Lord, but there is a blessing in being patient. During your times of trial, remember that we are kept by the power of God. We have this assurance in His Word: There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is fatihful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. (1 Corinthians 10:13) "

Ivan Seppala
Christian Monthly April 1991