Saturday, May 9, 2009

Missing Grandpa and Grandma K

This morning I was making instant coffee (too lazy to make real, and not caring for quality apparently) and the smell of it hit me. It totally brought me back to Grandpa and Grandma K's double wide they lived in years ago. I think Grandma always made real coffee, but somehow the smell was the same as I remember. We used to come and stay every summer, and my memories are of it being scorching hot (for us Canadians) with a box fan blowing constantly billowing up the curtains by the patio door. Grandpa and Grandma always had plently of reading for us kids, as well as it was usually August and the blackberries were ripe and ready. We also spent time down by the creek catching and poking at crawdads and helping Grandpa wash his car that wasn't really dirty (compared to our standards). We slept in those old "springy" beds in the spare room, and Grandma always tended to our every whim (we didn't get treatment like that at home). I miss those memories. Grandpa and Grandma have been gone for a couple years now, and most times I'm at peace with them being gone, but sometimes my heart just hurts because I miss them so much. I think right now it's more than ever, because Grandma loved babies. When J was born she just wanted to hold him and hold him. She had 10 babies of her own, and always knew what a blessing they are. I miss that my kids won't know them, but I couldn't expect them to live forever (they were 92 & 94 when they passed away). I'm just thankful for the time we did have together and what a blessing they were in my life of Godly example and Christian love.