Thursday, May 28, 2009

4 year old in the house

This morning as I was laying in bed hoping to get back to sleep, I started thinking about L's birthday today. He turns 4, and I had a few different thoughts come to mind. The first is all the changes that have happened in our life since he was born that hot Arizona evening. The next is what my life would have been if we didn't have children (what you can do in 4 years). I guess thinking about both, I came the same conclusion in the end. I have learned alot. Sure, I could have completed a 4 year degree in that time in the career of my choice, but I feel I've learned alot more useful information being a mom and wife that will benefit me my whole life through. I'll try to list a few of the things I've learned being a mom:
-patience -Things don't happen when you want them to, and that's okay because there is nothing you can do to make a toddler eat his dinner.
-how little sleep you can actually function on -So much is in the attitude, and how we think we "deserve" a good nights rest. There have been so many special moments with my children in the night that just can't be repeated in the daylight hours. I think of rocking a sick child who is sleeping on your chest under the moonlight. What greater calling could there be than to comfort that little one.
-multitasking -I thought working at Banner in Mesa had taught me multitasking, but it's nothing compared to the 24/7 shifts that mothering has taught me.
-compassion for others -Same here, I thought my past career had taught me compassion, but it was always at arms length.
-there is no normal in life -Normal is always changing, and you can't change the past, so just get used to each day as it comes.
-nurturing your children when they're little helps them be confident/independant when they get bigger -give them all the hugs and kisses you can when they are little, because the day comes too soon when they don't want to be cuddled. (G & I just started getting called Dad and Mom yesterday, as opposed to Daddy and Mommy, I'm hoping he'll revert back)
-breastfeeding a baby is much harder than anyone lets on -it's so worth it, but alot more dedication and selflessness is required, as well as problem solving.
-each child has his/her own personality, genetics, needs, etc. -Learning to meet each child's needs is definitely challenging, but so rewarding when a problem is successfully solved.
-the more time I spend with my kids, the more it makes me prepare to homeschool -I enjoy my kids so much, so why would I send them off to someone else all day? I really look forward to field trips. Lots of them. Every week hopefully.
-the more children you have, the more love there is to go around -I guess I thought I would be spread thinner with more children, but have found that the excess of love far outweighs the workload. And we all need someone to take care of us when we get old. More kids adds more love to that aspect too.

That's all I can think of for now, but likely there is many more things I've failed to list. I guess I wouldn't trade a degree for any of these experiences that have made me more of who I need to be. One mom friend of mine told me once (she has 9 kids) that each child she had taught her something new and different about herself. I hope that is happening to me too.