One of the things we also talked about on our road trip (and I'm just recalling it now!) was a lesson about cold weather. While preparing for cold weather requires much more thought and preparation, we concluded that it can be a good thing, applied to other aspects of life. When the weather is super cold, first of all you think twice before deciding to go somewhere. Do we REALLY need to go? If so, can we make as many stops in one trip so that we don't have to run extra trips? When you do decide to go somewhere, you have to go plug your car in, which takes a few hours to warm up before you're ready to go. Then you bundle up your kids with all their fixings, make sure your car is warmed up (after starting it a 10-15 minutes before you actually want to go) and head out. Then you hope you aren't snowed in, and if you are, you would have shovelled/plowed your way clear first if necessary. Sounds like a hassle, eh?
What we concluded is this. In our Have-It-Now society, people should have a few more hassles to prevent instant gratification so much. We get so ticked off if we have to wait a few minutes in the doctors office. Or if our fast food isn't fast enough. (we want it fresh though too!) Or if there is one car in front of us at the drive up teller (I'm good at complaining about that, when I should be being thankful that there is a drive up teller so I don't have to drag everyone inside).
Does instant gratification benefit our Christian walk in any way? I can't think it does. A long saved for vacation using cash feels much better than a spur of the moment one on credit that you pay for long after (done both!) In Philippians, Paul tells the people that "Not that I speak in respect of want; for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased (brought down), and I know how to abound (to be rich): every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me." (4:11-13) Note that it says that he has "learned" these things. They likely didn't come easy, and they likely weren't given to him. One day many years ago, my Mom told me something that I didn't want to hear, but I'm glad she did. She said, "Rachel, you and your older sister are not content. Your little sister is, and she has much less than either of you have. I don't understand it. God wants us to be content with what we have, and not always wanting something more." I've observed my little sister, and Mom was right. She has always been content with whatever she had, where ever she was. In the most difficult situations, she still is deep down content. I've strived for that, and have to say that I have much more peace in my heart and life, since I've been able to do that (although it's still a battle some days more than others).
So for today, I would encourage you to be content with what God has given. Be thankful for the hassles that keep you from being impulsive or self-indulgent (whether they be money, kids, time, or even cold weather), because in all things, God is trying to mold us into His image, and patience is one of those virtues that is not attained with ease (I'm trying to learn that, but it's not coming as fast as I'd like!)
Luke recently taught me an important lesson regarding being content. The boys got some Legos from their cousins, and had been playing with them pretty faithfully. They only had a couple handfuls (maybe 20), so I was planning on getting them some more so they could build more things. One of the boys' friends was over and said to Luke, "this is all the Legos you have?" and Luke says, "yeah, why would we need more?" Shows how "peer pressure" works, hey? I was proud of Luke for being content with what he had, but then a few days later after he had seen how many Legos these friends had, came home saying, "they had enough Legos for all of us to play at once!" Here I was the one thinking he needed more, he was completely happy that he had some! I'm sure he'll be happy with the more he's getting late for Christmas too, though!
What we concluded is this. In our Have-It-Now society, people should have a few more hassles to prevent instant gratification so much. We get so ticked off if we have to wait a few minutes in the doctors office. Or if our fast food isn't fast enough. (we want it fresh though too!) Or if there is one car in front of us at the drive up teller (I'm good at complaining about that, when I should be being thankful that there is a drive up teller so I don't have to drag everyone inside).
Does instant gratification benefit our Christian walk in any way? I can't think it does. A long saved for vacation using cash feels much better than a spur of the moment one on credit that you pay for long after (done both!) In Philippians, Paul tells the people that "Not that I speak in respect of want; for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased (brought down), and I know how to abound (to be rich): every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me." (4:11-13) Note that it says that he has "learned" these things. They likely didn't come easy, and they likely weren't given to him. One day many years ago, my Mom told me something that I didn't want to hear, but I'm glad she did. She said, "Rachel, you and your older sister are not content. Your little sister is, and she has much less than either of you have. I don't understand it. God wants us to be content with what we have, and not always wanting something more." I've observed my little sister, and Mom was right. She has always been content with whatever she had, where ever she was. In the most difficult situations, she still is deep down content. I've strived for that, and have to say that I have much more peace in my heart and life, since I've been able to do that (although it's still a battle some days more than others).
So for today, I would encourage you to be content with what God has given. Be thankful for the hassles that keep you from being impulsive or self-indulgent (whether they be money, kids, time, or even cold weather), because in all things, God is trying to mold us into His image, and patience is one of those virtues that is not attained with ease (I'm trying to learn that, but it's not coming as fast as I'd like!)
Luke recently taught me an important lesson regarding being content. The boys got some Legos from their cousins, and had been playing with them pretty faithfully. They only had a couple handfuls (maybe 20), so I was planning on getting them some more so they could build more things. One of the boys' friends was over and said to Luke, "this is all the Legos you have?" and Luke says, "yeah, why would we need more?" Shows how "peer pressure" works, hey? I was proud of Luke for being content with what he had, but then a few days later after he had seen how many Legos these friends had, came home saying, "they had enough Legos for all of us to play at once!" Here I was the one thinking he needed more, he was completely happy that he had some! I'm sure he'll be happy with the more he's getting late for Christmas too, though!