Monday, February 15, 2010

The Engagement so long ago

Feb. 14, 2003










Today it's been 7 years since we got engaged. Greg had meant to ask me on Valentine's Day, but it didn't work out (I flew down to AZ that day from AK, and things were just too hectic). So, here's my journal entry from that special day in time.










Feb. 15, 2003: Took a drive "up to South Mtn (in Phoenix) where we got engaged at about 4 in the afternoon. We had been talking about all the options for the future and how we planned on getting married but that maybe we should wait until we have more solid plans (who is going to live where). At that point Greg pulled the ring box out of the glove box and proposed (we were in his truck). I replied, "I would love to" and then, to ensure there was no confusion with my answer, said, "Yes, I will!" We then realized we were late for dinner at his parents and headed back. When we showed up there, everyone was comparing who saw the ring first and was waiting for the announcement". They had known the plan in advance, but I hadn't. So, that was the day I committed to be Mrs. Greg Somero. And many wonderful things have happened since then.

Sometimes we forget who we were back then. The kids and pressures of life seem to take over and "Greg and Rachel" just slip into oblivion. But then we get reminders of the great blessing we have in God bringing us together, and are so extremely thankful! I love that he has honesty, integrity, character, strong faith in God, sensibility, sense of responsibility, problem solving skills, effective communication skills, priorities are in place, doesn't get mad easily, the ability to get along with pretty much everyone, open to new ideas, likes the same things I do, hard worker, understands and appreciates my dry humor (most of the time!), innovative, non-materialistic, efficient, lets me stay at home with our children, is very caring and loving, and many more things I never knew to ask God for, but am so thankful for. I also love his dark brown eyes and think he is SO handsome. I just love to look at him and can listen to him talk all day long.

We topped off that evening with a surprise Greg had for me. A trip to the Charley Pride concert. We just soaked up being in love, and in my love-filled stupor I made a comment about all those cute old couples holding hands at the concert. Greg replied that they likely weren't holding hands out of love, but out of necessity so they wouldn't lose each other amongst all the people!