Kids are so honest. Brutally honest at times. Embarrassingly honest. The other day Luke told Greg, "your teeth are yellow". He just stated his observation, as he saw it. Greg wondered if he should invest in teeth whitening (they really aren't yellow, but may look that way if compared to a piece of paper) or just let it go. I told him that the other day I was told "you look like Grandma" when I put my glasses on. Either comment was probably meant in all sincerity, but not taken so much that way.
That led to me commenting that if it was 10 years ago, I likely wouldn't have taken "you look like Grandma" as a compliment, but now I do. My Mom is a fine lady. Nothing wrong with looking like her, unless I am so aged-looking that I look 60ish rather than 30ish. It's more genetics. I also noted that I think back now how funny it was that when I was about 8, I thought I must be adopted. I thought in my 8 year old mind, that since all my siblings had brown hair, and I had black, that I must be from another family. Never mind that my parents both have black hair, and that I look a great deal like both of them.
Anyways, the thought came on how to teach children "reserve". I would hope by teaching them the Golden Rule, they would learn it. Also by guarding our own mouths when at home, so the kids can follow by example what kind of things are okay to say, and what is better left unsaid. Thankfully no one has embarrassed me in public yet, but I know that day is coming, as it does for all parents! ;)
That led to me commenting that if it was 10 years ago, I likely wouldn't have taken "you look like Grandma" as a compliment, but now I do. My Mom is a fine lady. Nothing wrong with looking like her, unless I am so aged-looking that I look 60ish rather than 30ish. It's more genetics. I also noted that I think back now how funny it was that when I was about 8, I thought I must be adopted. I thought in my 8 year old mind, that since all my siblings had brown hair, and I had black, that I must be from another family. Never mind that my parents both have black hair, and that I look a great deal like both of them.
Anyways, the thought came on how to teach children "reserve". I would hope by teaching them the Golden Rule, they would learn it. Also by guarding our own mouths when at home, so the kids can follow by example what kind of things are okay to say, and what is better left unsaid. Thankfully no one has embarrassed me in public yet, but I know that day is coming, as it does for all parents! ;)