Sunday, August 2, 2009

The meaning of a ring

A friend of mine just got engaged, and seeing her smile with her ring just would make any of us happy. So, I began looking at my own wedding ring, and thinking how often we wear them, but don't really think about what they mean to us. It means the obvious, which is the commitment we've made to our spouse, and also the love we have for them as well as their love for us.

My favorite diamond is an emerald cut, which I had requested when Greg asked me what I wanted in a ring (I also wanted one that didn't "harbor germs" so that I could wear it to work). He had mine made especially to that criteria, which I've been very pleased with. I just love the emerald cut because to me it means endless opportunities. Looking into one, it just seems to go on and on and on. Kind of like Alice in Wonderland when she opened the door. So I look at it as our life is full of endless opportunities together, and we don't know what road we'll take or where we'll end up. But, it'll be beautiful as long as we're together (and the sun shining helps it sparkle more)

My ring means alot to me also because my dear husband sold 2 guns (one of them his very favorite) to get the money to buy me the ring. That is sacrifice, if you happen to know how much he likes guns. I was able to buy the favorite one back for him later for Christmas, since I found out who he sold it to.

A ring also helps when you're single, so that if you see a cute guy, you know if he's taken or not. It can be a hazard also, as many men have found in their jobs. But...that's all for tonight...not too 'brilliant', but what was on my mind.