Saturday, August 8, 2009

Healthcare opinons

I was recently asked (and had been thinking of this myself due to proposed health care reforms) what the pros and cons of a "socialist" form of health care are. Having worked in both types of systems, as well as being a patient in them both, here's what I see:

Pros to Canada medicine:
-Everyone gets the same care
-Consistency in care (much higher standards of care due to everyone works for the same "employer")
-No out of pocket expenses = less planning for health care needs
-Lower overall cost for health care due to government refusing to pay more for services, referral order of operations (its run kind of like Cigna, Kaiser programs work)
-Less lawsuits because you likely wouldn't win anyways (keeps costs low too)
-Doctors use much more signs/symptoms and physical assessment as opposed to diagnostic testing for everything (much more accurate, much less cost)

Cons:
-Higher taxes
-Longgggg waiting lists for scheduled procedures (knee replacements, cataracts, etc)
-Overuse of system because it's "free" (initiate small co-pay could solve)
-Less choice in doctors or facilities, you take what you get. Although I've also found that it doesn't matter, because the care is pretty much the same wherever you go.
-It's easier to go to the doctor than use home remedies, and natural choices (although ironically the natural field is much more widely accepted overall)
-Illegals using free health care

Pros to the US system:
-More choice in doctors and facilities
-Freedom to have insurance or not, your money goes where you want it to (although I have seen many times the people who don't "believe" in insurance, use the social programs in cases of catastrophic health costs, so do those people really believe what they are promoting?)

Cons:
-Little/no consistency between hospitals/care/procedures
-Cost, cost, cost (insurance companies have driven prices through the roof, and the middle class entrepreneur pays for it)
-Prices high also because of lawsuits (eg. Having a baby costs 3 times as much in the US than Canada, that's 3 times!!)
-People overusing system because "I've pay good money for insurance and I'm going to use it"
-Illegals using free health care
-Diagnostic testing for everything due to possible lawsuits
-Very high malpractice insurance premiums for doctors, driving up prices
-No control on pharmaceutical industry pricing/FDA ethics (read "The Sanctity of Human Blood" for more information)
-People without insurance leave ailments much longer to avoid going to the doctor, causing the problem to be much worse than if nipped in the bud.

So, overall...I would say both systems have good and bad, and really can't say whether one is better than the other. The US military runs their own health care, not sure what the people think of that, or if it is cost effective. I would say the standards of care are much higher in Canada (I only recall one incompetent/unsafe nurse, where I've run into many in the AK and AZ hospitals I've worked in) Not sure why that is. I know continuing education standards are higher in Canada. But also, nurses are all union, so we couldn't fire the bad one we had (we tried). In the US, you just go work for a different hospital until you wear out your welcome there. Also, in the US you get people going into nursing for the benefits, rather than for wanting to help people/because their heart is in it. Although in Canada people get in it for the money too. I think it's a wash in the end.

But, I guess the ultimate question right now is, do I support Obama's health care reforms?? No, no, and no! Reform the drug companies and the insurance companies? Yes, yes, yes. Make them accountable? Yes! Make them pay the prices they ask of us? Yes!