Sunday, August 9, 2009

One year of blogging

I'll have to start reading my old posts, since it looks like it's been a year since I've started this blogging thing. My journal has seen the light a couple times, but most of my thoughts have been put down here. I wonder what I've learned, and hope that it's something. I just know I was making pickles last year at this time, and yesterday made some more. Lots of work, but I did discover why I put myself through the effort. It's because as a mom, the jobs you do don't show in a tangible way. You change a million diapers, make a million meals, wash loads of laundry and they all disappear as quickly as the effort has been put forth. Canning gives you something to show for your work. Just as painting a room or other such tasks that aren't so necessary, but definitely more enjoyable.

The flavor of home canning/freezing can't be beat, and we try to soak up what is good in the Pacific Northwest while we can, since the winter tends to be a bit dark and dreary. Opening a jar of canned peaches is sure to cheer you up on a winter evening.