Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Daily Schedule Fall 2014

What does our day look like?  I know I've posted this long ago, and each year it changes slightly as the dynamics of our family change, but it also stays pretty much the same.  This is how I function.  I feel like so many things are out of my control these days anyhow, so the least I can do is to *try* to at least do the same things each day to keep up with all the changes that are out of my control.  5 kids is definitely more dynamics than 4 and so forth.  Schooling 3 kids this year adds a new dimension that schooling 2 children did not.  I still feel that homeschooling gives me a much better control over my day though, as I can function on our family's schedule rather than someone elses.  Nap time would otherwise get disrupted by bus time or pick up kids from practice time.   Besides, my 2 biggest helpers (now 3) would be the ones gone to school. I found out when the 2 big boys went to aunt Becky's this fall for a week how much work having only the 3 little kids was.  A LOT!  This way I can be home to start meals whenever I remember rather than cramming much more into the day and resorting to takeout because I'm driving by it.  5 kids also takes multitasking to a new level, but it seems that we're finding our groove!  (Subject to change tomorrow, I'm sure!)

7:30 Kids get up and start on their chores (get dressed, make beds, tidy the room assigned to them that month, start schoolwork).
8:30 I get up with baby (I can't get up before this, as she nurses most of the morning prior.  I use this time to plan my day, pray and sort my thoughts since I'm not sleeping.  One or more of the kids will often come and cuddle too).
9:00 Start breakfast (eggs, warm cereal or kefir smoothies on weekdays, pancakes on Saturday, hard boiled eggs/toast on Sunday)  We listen to audio Bible during this time.  The same thing for 2 weeks and then move ahead (to drill it into our heads).  I always do a real breakfast, although I know it takes longer.  We all learn/cooperate better with real food in our tummies and then don't have to worry about lunch for a while.
10:00 Start schoolwork (Luke, James and Elise.  Isaac and Celeste play quietly on floor nearby, or Elise and Isaac help me with chores if needed).
11:30 Hopefully be done our lessons.  Reading, writing and arithmetic is what we do each morning.  Celeste goes for a nap at 11:00, which gives me more time to focus on school needs and reading to the littles.  There's also some playing in here if kids get done with chores/school.
12:30 Start lunch and eat.  Ideally this is just supper leftovers heated up, but often is not.  Quick meat/cheese/veggie wraps or pb&j on rice cakes or gluten free pasta with meat/veggies, hummus and veggies/chips has been the meal lately.  I read a devotion to them and write in my daily homeschool planner.
1:00 After lunch is cleaned up we go for a walk up the road.  Get our outside/exercise time.
2:00 Quiet time/nap time.  The older kids read learning books (science, history, social studies) or listen to audio books.  The littles nap (hopefully).  The kids will usually play quietly after their reading is finished during this time too if others are still sleeping.
4:00 Fruit time (eat some fruit for a snack).  Quick "buzzy" cleanup before Dad gets home from work.  Kids play outside some more if necessary.  Start supper if hasn't been started yet.
5:00 Dad gets home, have supper shortly after.
6:00 Kids relax and read and play/visit with Daddy.  Mom usually takes a bath.
7:00 Story time (read aloud), Bible Story, start getting ready for bed (snack, brush teeth, prayers, sing songs).
8:00 Daddy goes to bed (because he gets up at 4:30), so kids need to too.  Kids can visit quietly until 9 in bed, as they all sleep in the same room.  Celeste is ready for bed now too, so the house is quiet while I nurse her before bed.  This takes a couple hours at best.  I usually read during this time since it's quite lengthy.
11:00 I finish my evening rounds (make Greg a lunch and snack, put baby in her bed, lock doors and make sure kids are all covered up and tucked in.  Go to bed and read my Bible chapters once in bed.

Our weekly chores are:
Monday - tidy everything in the main rooms from the weekend
Tuesday - floors- vacuum, sweep and mop if necessary (always necessary!)
Wednesday - bathrooms and bill pay, grocery day if needed
Thursday - laundry - usually 3 big loads (one kids, one Greg and mine, one towels/sheets/dish towels/napkins)  If I am hanging them to dry, I spread them over Thur/Fri/Sat.  I have a huge washer and we re-wear our clothes and towels for a few days which is how I can keep laundry to a minimum.  I usually do 2 batches of cloth diapers on 2 different days also.  Now with 5 kids I sometimes need 2 batches for them, but on quiet home days (where no one is getting muddy) I can get by with 1.  Love my huge washer!  Fold and put away in evening during story time.
Friday - extra projects/town day/bedrooms tidy/catch up day

This seems to keep the majority of the house clean to my standards.  I started the weekly schedule back when Luke was an only child and we have altered it slightly, but it works pretty well.  

What does your schedule look like?  Any improvements you can see to mine?  You'll note "do dishes" is not on there anywhere.  I'm still working on that one!  Should I do them after every meal?  Once per day?  What do you do?  How long does it take?