Saturday, November 8, 2014

Book Reviews Fall 2014

Here's the few books I've been reading lately:

Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth
This is an easy, enjoyable read about midwifery in the 1950s in England.  Lots of good stories about what she faced.  I've read 2 of her other books last spring, and finally got the first one read (I was on the waiting list for it at the library)



















Strong Mothers, Strong Sons by Meg Meeker, MD

Most books I read have very little useful information, and lots of fluff.  This one is completely the opposite.  I have found no fluff in it yet (and I'm almost finished), and everything is relevant and useful and from a (mostly) Godly perspective.   Dave Ramsay had recommended Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters on his radio show once, so I finally got around to getting this one.  She has 3 other books that I have checked out of the library too, but I haven't had a chance to read them yet.  They look excellent though.  (Boys Should be Boys, 10 Habits of Successful Mothers and the Strong Fathers, Strong Daugthers)

 Here's a bit of what it's about:
• the need for mothers to exercise courage and be bolder and more confident about advising and directing their boys
• the crucial role mothers play in expressing love to sons in healthy ways so they learn to respect and appreciate women as they grow up
• the importance of teaching sons about the values of hard work, community service, and a well-developed inner life
• the natural traps mothers of boys often fall into—and how to avoid them 
• the need for a mother to heal her own wounds with the men in her life so she can raise her son without baggage and limitations
• the best ways to survive the moments when the going gets tough and a mom’s natural ways of communicating—talking, analyzing, exploring—only fuel the fire

Glimpses of Grace by Gloria Furman
This book looks better than it is.  It has good intentions, but isn't anything that most of us don't already know.  I got it because it looked good.  But, like they say, you can't judge a book by it's cover!  There wasn't anything wrong with it, just nothing helpful nor profound, as far as I can find.  Having trouble finishing it, in fact.  I had hoped she'd go into a little more depth other than "give grace and get grace in all you do".



















I've also been venturing into Gospel Messages by John Riikonen, a pastor in our church back in the day.  And Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis again.  Also some homeschool books.  It seems like I have plenty to get through these days.  Also I've been pondering more about baptism and end times prophecy in the Bible too.  It seems there's plenty of different views on these subjects, and though they're not essential for salvation, they are important to be firm on, whatever view you may have!  I also read magazines in the bath, so have plenty of them I've gone through this fall too.  So much to read, so little time to read them!

The kids have been enjoying more Boxcar children, as well as the Jonathan Park on audiobook.  Jonathan Park is an Creation based adventure series that is great for boys and girls to learn more about the Biblical worldview and how it differs from the evolution theories.  It explains the differences in a way that the kids can understand and makes sense, all done in story/adventure form.  They listen each afternoon once their other schoolwork is finished for the day.  I'm trying to find more for Elise, as she gets kind of bored with the boys' stuff.  I ordered some classic Pooh on audiobook for her for now, and hopefully will find some more wholesome stuff.