Last summer when my in-laws made their annual trip up here, my father-in-law was telling me (us) about something he had read or seen that warned of the dangers of Teflon pans. I used them mainly, although have owned this stack of cast iron all along. The dangers come when the coating on the pans get scratched, and many carcinogens seep out into your food. This can happen by scraping your pan with something abrasive, or by continual use so that the coating wears off, or by cooking with high heat (even if the pan looks good, the toxins can be leaching out if your heat is high).

Well, my pans were nearing the end of their life span anyways, so I decided to do a bit more research and after that, tossed them. Not worth the risk, especially since I had used them with high heat often enough (and who hasn't if you've ever made a stir fry?!) This led me to pull out my old cast iron ones that I've collected from garage sales, and begin to use them. I found out how to season them (http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/1999-12-01/Seasoning-Cast-Iron.aspx) and off I went. I followed instructions, and only cooked greasy things in them for a good amount of time, and never washed them with soap, scraped the food off when fresh, as well as reseasoning them if they looked like they were getting un-seasoned. Well, I've had pretty good luck (or my skill level has improved, I should say) and the only thing leaving me challenged is pancakes.
Cornbread has been awesome (as recommended by a friend). I also do Pannukakku (baked pancake or Dutch Baby) which turns out fabulous. But pancakes just don't turn out well. I need such low heat to keep them from burning, that the tops dry out before it's time to flip them. So, if any of you have tips on solving this problem, I'd love some advice. Perhaps a thinner batter would help, or more grease on the pan.
Now, all I need is a cast iron Dutch oven to use on my woodstove, and I'll be set. I need a good deal before that will happen. I'm sure as I'm scouring Estate sales or garage sales I'll be able to find one that someone doesn't know the value of, and will be willing to part with for a few pennies. I love the thrill of the search! Especially if I'm in no hurry to find something.

Well, my pans were nearing the end of their life span anyways, so I decided to do a bit more research and after that, tossed them. Not worth the risk, especially since I had used them with high heat often enough (and who hasn't if you've ever made a stir fry?!) This led me to pull out my old cast iron ones that I've collected from garage sales, and begin to use them. I found out how to season them (http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/1999-12-01/Seasoning-Cast-Iron.aspx) and off I went. I followed instructions, and only cooked greasy things in them for a good amount of time, and never washed them with soap, scraped the food off when fresh, as well as reseasoning them if they looked like they were getting un-seasoned. Well, I've had pretty good luck (or my skill level has improved, I should say) and the only thing leaving me challenged is pancakes.
Cornbread has been awesome (as recommended by a friend). I also do Pannukakku (baked pancake or Dutch Baby) which turns out fabulous. But pancakes just don't turn out well. I need such low heat to keep them from burning, that the tops dry out before it's time to flip them. So, if any of you have tips on solving this problem, I'd love some advice. Perhaps a thinner batter would help, or more grease on the pan.
Now, all I need is a cast iron Dutch oven to use on my woodstove, and I'll be set. I need a good deal before that will happen. I'm sure as I'm scouring Estate sales or garage sales I'll be able to find one that someone doesn't know the value of, and will be willing to part with for a few pennies. I love the thrill of the search! Especially if I'm in no hurry to find something.