Probably one of the things most women (and maybe men too), hate the most, is shopping for jeans. You wouldn't think it would be that treacherous, but finding that perfect pair that makes you look good, feel good and don't cost a boatload is sometimes quite daunting.
I had the misfortune this spring of two pairs wearing out in the same week. This was devastating, since my one pair had been a favorite that I had had since before I was married. If I had known this would happen, I would have gone shopping for some new ones while we were in Canada, since that is where I got them. I do have a second pair (the same) that I love, but it just wasn't enough to last until laundry day. So, I embarked on the challenge...
Before embarking, I talked to my sister about it, who is equally as unimpressed with jeans shopping. She recalled to me a story about a hair products salesman who tried to talk her (and her employees) into buying (and selling) his haircare products. He said to them, "you know how a woman will spend any amount of money once they find the perfect pair of jeans, well, that's what you have to convince clients with these products!" My sister A noted that he wouldn't look her in the eye as he went on this schpeil, because he knew how frugal she was, and that she wouldn't fall for that line. But all the employees did. They all agreed, that they would pay any amount of money, if the jeans did what they wanted them to do. Sad....
With that in mind, I took my kids and went shopping. I always follow the Tightwad Gazette lady's advice and start shopping at the cheapest place first. Finding jeans at garage sales is difficult because you rarely can try them on. So, I went to the dreaded Walmart. I tried on several pairs, and amazingly found a pair that was perfect. And yes, under $20! Even better. I bought them immediately, but didn't end there. I was out of time for the day, but the next time I was in town, I went to the Goodwill. I rounded up several pairs that met my criteria, and started trying them on. I found 3 pairs that fit to my standards, and ended up buying 2 (for under $10 total) and have been extremely satisfied with them. So, I returned the unworn Walmart pair, and went on my merry way. Wow! That was not near as painful as I recall. I might even try it again sometime, before a critical moment like the last time when I'm down to one lonely pair!
Here's what I was looking for (decide your own criteria, so you know what to weed out before hand):
-not too low or too high waist
-boot cut (I'm old enough to have worn skinny jeans in grade 5, and have no plans on wearing them ever again. Hated the feel of them then, and can't imagine them any better now)
-long enough (one of my friends has a gauge she uses that works well-if you hold the jeans up to your waist, and the bottom covers your foot, they'll be long enough...so far that has held true)
-the right wash/color (I'm pretty traditional, so am not wanting anything too trendy or flashy
-price (under $20 to me is a good deal, I have paid more, but would rather not)
-back pockets in the right places (for me, Levi's have the pockets in the wrong place, makes my butt look huge...which is definitely not something I want to accent...smaller would be better!)
-feminine cut (not too boyish)
Also from the Tightwad lady, if you want your stretch jeans to last longer, wash them on cold and don't put them in the dryer. The heat breaks down the spandex and then they are useless. Toss them on airdry a bit if you don't like stiff jeans. I happen to love stiff jeans, so it's a match made in heaven. And from another friend, "if you find a pair you love, buy 2 pairs, even 3...you'll not regret it, but you will regret not buying them!"
Hope your Monday is going well...and good luck on your next jeans venture.
I had the misfortune this spring of two pairs wearing out in the same week. This was devastating, since my one pair had been a favorite that I had had since before I was married. If I had known this would happen, I would have gone shopping for some new ones while we were in Canada, since that is where I got them. I do have a second pair (the same) that I love, but it just wasn't enough to last until laundry day. So, I embarked on the challenge...
Before embarking, I talked to my sister about it, who is equally as unimpressed with jeans shopping. She recalled to me a story about a hair products salesman who tried to talk her (and her employees) into buying (and selling) his haircare products. He said to them, "you know how a woman will spend any amount of money once they find the perfect pair of jeans, well, that's what you have to convince clients with these products!" My sister A noted that he wouldn't look her in the eye as he went on this schpeil, because he knew how frugal she was, and that she wouldn't fall for that line. But all the employees did. They all agreed, that they would pay any amount of money, if the jeans did what they wanted them to do. Sad....
With that in mind, I took my kids and went shopping. I always follow the Tightwad Gazette lady's advice and start shopping at the cheapest place first. Finding jeans at garage sales is difficult because you rarely can try them on. So, I went to the dreaded Walmart. I tried on several pairs, and amazingly found a pair that was perfect. And yes, under $20! Even better. I bought them immediately, but didn't end there. I was out of time for the day, but the next time I was in town, I went to the Goodwill. I rounded up several pairs that met my criteria, and started trying them on. I found 3 pairs that fit to my standards, and ended up buying 2 (for under $10 total) and have been extremely satisfied with them. So, I returned the unworn Walmart pair, and went on my merry way. Wow! That was not near as painful as I recall. I might even try it again sometime, before a critical moment like the last time when I'm down to one lonely pair!
Here's what I was looking for (decide your own criteria, so you know what to weed out before hand):
-not too low or too high waist
-boot cut (I'm old enough to have worn skinny jeans in grade 5, and have no plans on wearing them ever again. Hated the feel of them then, and can't imagine them any better now)
-long enough (one of my friends has a gauge she uses that works well-if you hold the jeans up to your waist, and the bottom covers your foot, they'll be long enough...so far that has held true)
-the right wash/color (I'm pretty traditional, so am not wanting anything too trendy or flashy
-price (under $20 to me is a good deal, I have paid more, but would rather not)
-back pockets in the right places (for me, Levi's have the pockets in the wrong place, makes my butt look huge...which is definitely not something I want to accent...smaller would be better!)
-feminine cut (not too boyish)
Also from the Tightwad lady, if you want your stretch jeans to last longer, wash them on cold and don't put them in the dryer. The heat breaks down the spandex and then they are useless. Toss them on airdry a bit if you don't like stiff jeans. I happen to love stiff jeans, so it's a match made in heaven. And from another friend, "if you find a pair you love, buy 2 pairs, even 3...you'll not regret it, but you will regret not buying them!"
Hope your Monday is going well...and good luck on your next jeans venture.