Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Boring is blissful

Parenting seems to be full of mundane-ness, but also full of surprises. A friend noted that we need to be thankful for the boring days, because some parents are wishing their lives were more boring (a child in the hospital, a child in the military overseas and in harms way, and so many other things that are unpredictable). One thing that is predictable but unpredictable in this house is a 1 year old that has just learned to walk. Elise has been loving exploring, and yesterday was found with a whisk, stirring in the toilet. Not an hour later, her brother was going to the bathroom, and she followed him in there and threw a toy airplane in the toilet. Now this morning she has unwrapped a whole roll of toilet paper, twice. We try to keep close tabs on her, but she is so busy wandering from room to room, that sometimes I forget to watch her. I can't shut the bathroom door since James can't reach it if he needs in there (I suppose I could have him have Luke open it for him), so will just have to be firm in teaching her where she can play, and where she can't. She also loves to get up on the boys stools (at the sink) and throw things in the sink (usually something metal and clangy).

James has been recovering from a crash last week he had with a deck corner post. It left a nasty scrape and bruise on his face, but he has been tough. He bounced back and was outside playing again right after. My mom has a theory to "put a cold wet washcloth" on the point of injury, and that cures things amazingly well. I didn't believe her at first, but after watching her miraculously "heal" a wide range of injuries this way, I'm sold. The washcloth comes out, and works it's magic, and the kid is back playing in no time.

James was the hero the other day when Greg offhandedly remarked "well, I should go get those chickens back in soon" to me. James donned his boots, ran outside, rounded up all 10 chickens (no easy task in itself as the ones you caught usually get away when you go to get more) and came in the house to ask "can someone help me shut the chicken pen?" He did a great job, all by himself.

Luke has been using his imagination and making all kinds of animals out of Legos lately. Yesterday we got a giraffe (with 18 inch neck) and a chicken. The boys love their chickens, and collect the eggs faithfully every day, as well as feeding them scraps, making sure they have water, and letting them out and putting them away once they've been out in the yard. He also loves to draw, and today it was numerous pictures of Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Sinai (right next to each other) erupting with "ash and smoke everywhere".

The kids also love pushing the two couches together and making a boat out of them. They also pretend it's a bus, a covered wagon, a ferry, etc. Elise loves it when they take the cushions off the couch and play either polar bears, tigers or wolves; because then she can climb up on the couch (when she otherwise can't). She has no idea of danger or falling though, so has to be watched rather carefully.

I, in the meantime, try to get my mundane daily chores done, read them some books here and there every day, and answer their many questions. It's such a great job being their Mom, and oftentimes I take it for granted that they'll always be as cute and random as they are now. They do tend to frustrate me a lot with their childishness (spilling milk, making messes in the sink, etc), but I do love their hugs and kisses and "I wuv you, Mom" that they so often give.

So that's what's new (0r not new, but pleasantly mundane) in our house.