Monday, November 2, 2009

To sleep or not to sleep...that is the question

I've wondered much about sleep. Mostly because I've had 3 kids who have had sleep issues. Probably partly my fault, partly theirs. I once asked the pediatrician about it, and she said, "oh, kids don't sleep well, you have to teach them that skill." That opened my eyes in some ways, but created a whole new can of worms to add to the sleep dilemma/solution ratio. I spend much of my day getting a baby to sleep (lets say an hour each nap and bedtime, so that would be 4 hours a day), only to have her wake up 15 minutes later still crabby and not tired enough to get back to sleep. This is not new, nor am I looking for sympathy. I'm more just stating the obvious so that hopefully in a few months I can look back and say, "Wow, we've come a long ways".

In those 4 hours of crabbiness/fussing, I try to think of new things to try but often come up short because you can only try so many things and then run out of options. I've read books, which offer a few tips, but haven't helped that much either. I do console myself with a friends words, "they don't sleep good until they are 2". That at least gives me some hope. I don't regret this time in my life, but do wish I could enjoy my baby when she's happy instead of trying over and over to appease her tired self. L says to me every morning, "what are we going to do today? Keep a baby happy again?" Yep. That's what we spend most of our days doing. Which we would have to do anyways, but when baby is tired, it's much more involved. The books say to lay them down when they are drowsy and they'll learn to self-soothe. It has NEVER happened in this house. They whimper, cry and then scream...in that order. And then scream and scream. So, I'm working on the self-soothing in other ways, but have been so far unsuccessful.

Sundays are the worst. Her normal nap time is right at church time, so she fusses through church and only sometimes falls asleep. This past weekend she woke up early Sunday morning so was ready for nap by church time. She slept in the car for 20 minutes on the way there, wakes up when we get there (she's a light sleeper and is awake as soon as you stop driving). She then proceeds to fuss all through Sunday School, and halfway through church. (I'm playing the organ, so Greg and I trade her back and forth) She falls asleep only to wake up as soon as church is over (another 20 minute nap). She's crabby all the way to friends house for dinner, cries all through dinner (we take turns handing her back and forth so we can both eat somewhat enjoyably). She then gets pretty tired, but not enough to sleep. I have her in the carrier all this time. She conks out on the way home in late afternoon (30 min this time, awake when we pull in the driveway) and then is fussy until bedtime 3 hours later. Fun day. It's not usually this bad at home, because there is no driving/other people's houses involved, but the nap schedule is the same. One or two good naps would do her much more good, but I just can't seem to make that happen. She does sleep good at night though, and that is the only thing that makes this all bearable. We still have not had a sleepless night with her (or even been up with her at all other than to nurse her).