Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Accidental vs. Intentional

"God has implanted deep in the souls of parents the truth that they cannot with impunity shirk the responsibility to protect childhood and youth. There seems to be a growing tendency to shift this responsibility from the home to outside influences, such as the school and the church. Important as these outward influences are, they never can take the place of the influence of the mother and the father.” -- David O. McKay

This is a quote off a blog I like to read (Old Fashioned Motherhood on my blog list). It reminded me of an idea that I'm trying to form for a blog idea. Since it's still in the thought stages, I hope it will advance and I can elaborate on the thoughts.

I read a book last week called, "The Baby Whisperer" in hopes I can find some more sleep solutions for our family. Although most of the book was pretty generic, I did come out with a few points that I think are worth sharing. She talks alot about "accidental parenting". She says that many parents really don't ever set goals, so they never reach them, since they never set them in the first place. They end up in predicaments because they haven't looked far enough into the future to see the results of what they are doing. I think this is very valid especially as Christians, since we can't end up with the values, morals, & ethics instilled in our kids if we don't take the time to teach them what is needed. Kind of like driving. If we don't look far enough in advance, we're likely to get in an accident. We need to see where we're going, and need to do what is called "intentional parenting".

Intentional parenting (or living in general) is doing so with an ultimate goal in mind. This can involve small reachable goals each week, month and year but also lifetime goals (eg. get to heaven!) What do we need to do to get where we want to go? When I lived in AZ I used to listen to Randy Carlsen on the radio, and he spoke alot about intentional living (almost every day he'd have something). Each decision we make each day is made with the ultimate life goals in mind.

With both of these ways of doing things, we all need to ask ourselves a few questions. Where do I want to be? (in 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, etc) or Where do I want my children to be? How am I going to get there? (make a plan) What is in the best interest of my family? Will a shortcut now be paid for long term? It goes back to my Dad's saying of "give it 20 years" and makes it easier to stand up for things that may be a grey area in decision making.

It is my hope and prayer that I could be an intentional parent (and person), and that although sometimes the easiest way seems tempting, it's much more important to do what is right and what is best in God's eyes and not mans.