Monday, June 1, 2009

To sleep or not to sleep

Today I woke up early (or shall I say, was awakened early) in hopes of accomplishing something. The weekend always leaves the house in a cyclone, and the awesome weather didn't help, because we were only in the house to leave stuff, make messes and dirty dishes and get back outside to enjoy more sunshine. I had great intentions of getting everything back in order, once breakfast was done and baby was down for her morning nap. Not happening. Breakfast got done, I put her down for a nap and about 15 minutes later she woke up and cried off and on until lunch time. This happens pretty much every day, and has happened with every kid I've had. I have been trying the eat, play, sleep routine this time and with only marginal better luck. It seems all the kids wake up because of gas/burp and then they won't go back to sleep. With L we just called it colic and walked the floors with him for 3 months. With J we just thought that was normal and got up with him 15 times a night (no lie) until he was a year old. But, I know there has to be a better way. I'm not into "crying it out" because my kids just swallow gallons of air, and then I'm in the same boat as I was before. They sleep 15 minutes and then wake up in discomfort. I do swaddle her at night, but maybe I should try it in the daytime too. I don't know if that would reduce air in her system. Nursing before sleep makes it worse because then surely a burp will be lodged in there. And if I do burp her, she wakes up and then I'm back to where I started. So, if any of you have any solutions, please let me know.