Thursday, June 25, 2009

My Love/Hate Relationship with Walmart

Today we went to Walmart. It seems that they just have what we need, for the right price, so we go there again and again. I've tried boycotting them in the past, mostly because I buy too much lip balm and things like that (who needs 30+ types), but it just never lasts. I'll try to find something somewhere else, support the local small business, etc., but I always end up going back to Walmart. My brother-in-law was visiting this spring, and a friend of his once noted that every time you go somewhere, it will require a "quick stop" at Walmart. No matter what friends you are with, or where you are going. I tend to agree. I've been trying very hard to boycott things made in China now, (which is even harder than boycotting Walmart, although they coincide quite often) but then something comes up, and there I go again...buying something made in China, sold at Walmart and I'm back to where I started. I do wonder, is it worth the effort? Are my motives pure? Are my small boycotts even a drop in the huge bucket of our nation that supports all things we don't. (mass marketing, impulse buying, etc.) I love garage saling, but most of it results from everyone having too much stuff. Why?? Because they buy too much stuff (me included). Maybe I should just stay home more...that would solve my dilemma...and save me money at the same time. But I just love Walmart. (I was hired on by Walmart on the spot in AK because I told them my friends referred to me as "the Walmart junkie"). Hmm. I can think of better titles to be known as. Maybe I'll work on them.