Thursday, June 11, 2009
Restored Faith in Mankind
My recurring nightmare (or daymare) occurred yesterday. That my kids meltdown will come in the checkout line, once I have everything on the conveyer belt, and there is nothing to do but wait it out. It likely happens to every parent, and they are just as humiliated every time. Yesterday I was doing my best to get my groceries as quickly as possible, and little E was sleeping soundly in her seat. The boys were behaving to the best of their ability, and we had one more item and out the store we'd go. Baby girl decides to wake up just now, and since there is no place to nurse her (and I'm not an expert yet nor is she at making do in odd situations), I make the plan to get checked out as quick as I can and feed her in the car. So, one handedly I put all 2 weeks worth of groceries on the conveyer and just then a little climbing boy (J) falls off the bagging stand and bumps his lip. Now I have two screaming kids, and a third one asking his million and one questions that I really can't hear or deal with right now. Since we're at Winco where you have to bag your own groceries, I proceed to work as fast as I can under the circumstances as not to halt progress. The sweet old lady behind me buys some Hotwheels cars for the boys to keep them happy as I finish up, and the lady behind her comes over and says "let me help you get those groceries bagged up. I was a young mom in your shoes once and know what it's like." Awesome!! She then helps me finish up, and says "no use me standing back there watching you struggle." Thank you, thank you!! That totally made my day. Sometimes it takes hard times to show peoples true character. If my kids were nicely behaving themselves and not bringing so much attention to us, those ladies wouldn't have had the opportunity they did. Not that I'd recommend the crying part.