Thursday, March 26, 2009

Musical Ponderings

Yesterday as I was doing dishes, and listening to Allison Krauss again for the millionth time, I was thinking to myself, "why do I choose listening to her?... everyday?" It's not intentional, but if I pick out a cd or put a playlist on the computer, she happens to be on it, pretty much every time. This is not new, as I've been a fan for a decade at least. But I just never tire of her (and a few others, but her mostly). It came to me that I love her mostly because she relaxes me, and uplifts me, and her voice is just so soothing and refreshing at the same time. I certainly enjoy my life, but often the chaos and noise gets me frazzled, and Allison takes me away from that to whatever and wherever it is she is singing about. I like her gospel the best, but also her sad, sappy songs that make you want to cry. I love the upbeat ones that make you want to kick your shoes off, and also the instrumental ones that show off her amazing fiddling skills. I guess I just love them all. It also got me to thinking of why we listen to music. There are many reasons, but for me it's mostly relaxation and to get a boost when I need one. I don't care so much about the mechanics of it all, but if it lifts my spirits, I'm a fan. Recently while listening to a public sponsored radio program where they were soliciting fans for sponsorship, they mentioned "keep small town performers in business" by sending money. I really wondered though, if I don't send money will the musicians die out and go extinct? I think we too often rely on others for musical enjoyment, when if we didn't have the option, would we learn an instrument ourselves and find a way to get the same enjoyment? Music has been around since the beginning of time, but it's just recently that people have neglected using their own skills and relied on the "professionals" to entertain us (for the most part). A sad change, I do believe. Comments welcome.