Monday, March 2, 2009
The Case of the White Dresser
In an attempt to make my spare room more useable (and nice looking at the same time), I decided that I needed a dresser. I really was open to anything that would fit in the space, for the right price, but also secretly hoped that it would look decent. So, one day on my way to Longview, I saw one outside an antique store in Kalama. After stopping to examine it and ask the price, I decided this one would work perfect. It was old, sturdy, in very good condition and within my price range. Since I was in a hurry, I told the lady that I'd pick it up on my way home when I had some cash and more time. She said fine, since it was a rainy Thursday in October, likely there wouldn't be anyone else wanting it. I headed back home in the afternoon, and since the dresser was still there 1/2 hr before G came through with his truck, I passed by so that he could do the heaving to get it home, rather than trying to cram it in the van somehow. But....when he came through a while later, the dresser was gone. Sold. When I talked to the lady of the shop, she said she had tried to talk a woman out of buying it (as she knew I was coming back), but since I hadn't left a down payment or name and number, she ended up having to sell it. How discouraging. Those thoughts had flitted across my mind, but I thought, "who would be shopping for the same kind of dresser as me on a rainy Thursday in Kalama?" Anyways, since then I've been on a mission to find myself one, of the same caliber and price. I've scoured craigslist, ads, antique stores, and found nothing near my price range. I was about to give up when last week I was at a Goodwill and low and behold there is something that caught my eye. Turns out the bottom drawer is broken, but it also helped me barter to get the price lower, and my dear husband said it'll be no problem to fix. All in all, I think I got the better deal (less than half of the original dresser price) and sturdy, white, fits-in-the-space and will meet my needs for years to come. Yay!! I guess patience (whether planned or forced) is a virtue that is worth having. I often wonder.