Thursday, March 26, 2009

For the Love of Breakfast

Anyone who knows me well, will know that I'm not a morning person. I don't really function at all before 8 am, and not well before 10. So the fact that I love getting up early just to go out to breakfast is something that doesn't quite fit my profile. But, for some reason you can get anything out of me if you promise me a good hearty breakfast. It all started my last year in Red Deer (AB) when 10 of my friends decided to get married the same year (I had already met my future husband at this time, but neither of us had clued in to this yet). One happened to be my sister, and 2 more were roommates. This of course left me with much time on my hands, since the ones I usually hung out with suddenly had other interests. On accident one Saturday morning I woke up early, and unable to get back to sleep decided to treat myself to breakfast. It was so enjoyable, that I started a habit of it every Saturday. (lesson #1 in going out for breakfast: always get there before 9 am. No matter where you go, it gets busy at 9) I'd bring my Bible, my journal and enjoy my food, whatever it may have been. Breakfast waitresses are always friendly, as are any other people in the restaurant. (the non-morning people are either still in bed, or poking down cold cereal to the best of their ability at home). The other people out for breakfast are typically those on vacation, who are happy no matter what they are doing. After we got married, G & I kept up the tradition (followed by a morning of garage saling), trying new places as often as we could, as well as frequenting our favorites too. (best food in Mesa, AZ: Crackers, cheapest: Little Mesa Cafe) and now up here we have explored many options too, although not every Saturday as we'd like. (our favorite is Fireside Cafe right here in Kalama, although it's closed right now due to flood damage, and our other favorite is Julie's at Dollars Corner near Battle Ground). It doesn't seem to matter what we eat or where we eat, but a day started by going out for breakfast is just going to be good!