Thursday, May 7, 2015

Homemade Italian or Ranch Dressing

We're ranch dressing lovers in this family, and since titanium dioxide (and others) aren't ingredients that we care to ingest if we don't have to, I embarked on a homemade ranch recipe.  I had quite a few un-successes (since a certain husband is a Hidden Valley type of guy) with flavor and also texture on my homemade versions of ranch.  I knew it could be done, as I have tasted fabulous homemade ranch that different friends have made.  After years of trying, tweaking, dumping and shaking; I'll share our version.

First you make the spice mix.  Store it in a jar and then use it for Italian seasoning, Italian dressing or Ranch.  It works great for any of them.

Italian Spice Mix (like Good Seasons- 2 T. = 1 package)
2 T. (each) garlic powder, onion powder, parsley
4 T. oregano, salt
2 t. pepper, basil
1/2 t. thyme, celery salt
~Mix all together and store in a jar.

This mixture is yummy on chicken, as a meatloaf seasoning, in spaghetti, in pizza crust (with dough or the cauliflower one), on my Greek tacos, and more.

Italian Dressing
1/4 c. white vinegar
2/3 c. oil
2 T. water
2 T. Italian spice mix
~Shake all together in a jar.

Ranch Dressing
1 c. sour cream or yogurt (or mayo if you don't have those)
1 c. buttermilk or plain kefir
a bit of mayo (2-3 T.)
1 heaping teaspoon Italian spice mix
~Add all the ingredients to one of those ranch shakers (like Tupperware sells) or a jar with lid, and thin more if it's too thick.

It's best made the day before so that the flavors spread throughout, although we often make it right when we need it (as life these days goes!)  You can use more mayo than that if you want, but I've found if I don't use any mayo, then it gets all separated and yucky even if it's not gone bad.  You just want 2 c. in the end.  Adjust more or less spice mixture if you want.


Here's a link for a non-dairy homemade ranch that I've made also.  (You must let it sit 10 minutes as it says...ask me how I know!)  http://silk.com/recipes/ranch-dressing