Tuesday, December 31, 2013

My own guide to a better birth

With each baby, it seems that I need extra motivation to make changes to help things run more smoothly.  That means that the labor would go "better" and that the baby would be less fussy and more pleasant.  This means reading more books and websites, and talking to more people.  For some reason, this makes the whole overwhelming process more doable, when I have more tools in my belt, so to speak.   Kind of like having more appliances in my kitchen.  I think that I can do fine with what I have, but then I get a new ice cream maker for my birthday, and just don't know how I ever lived without it!

There are things that in the past have worked well, and I'm sticking with them.  After 4 kids, you start to learn what works and what doesn't.  There's always a chance of some random wild card being thrown in there, but for the most part, the process is getting more smooth.  I shudder at my naivety with our first baby, thinking that I was well-educated back then.  Thankfully God does give us more chances, and I'm thankful that He has led me to various resources to help with my own health situation as well as the coming baby's.  It also seems that the more I rely on Him, the more answers He gives.  I should know that, but somehow want to lean on my own understandings and knowledge way too much and it doesn't work so well.

This pregnancy I was able to decrease morning sickness drastically by upping my probiotics and adding lots of magnesium to my diet (unintentionally, but it worked).  This blog helped alot 7 Real Food Remedies for Morning Sickness as well as this one (although I discovered it much after the first trimester was over).  The Cause and Cure of Morning Sickness.  Halfway through everything I discovered Green Vibrance that I'm still singing the praises of.  I had been so tired that I needed a nap every single day, and now I only need one rarely when I've overdone it, or we've been lacking sleep from sick kids/toddlers climbing in bed/things like that.  Eating protein in the night was really helpful for keeping blood sugars stable too (usually I'd just chug some kefir from the bottle (since no one else drinks it around here) or eat a few spoons of Greek yogurt when I got up in the night and that worked the best).

The things that I already do and have continued with are:
1) Chiropractic care - This recently was a huge blessing.  Our baby has been transverse or breech at every checkup and after 32 weeks this becomes a concern as the baby starts to lose space to turn around.  Our chiropractor specializes in women's health and children, so she was able to do the Webster Technique on me, and the next day the baby flipped over to the head down position.  She basically just adjusts your pelvis to make sure everything is lined up to assist in better blood flow, better nerve conduction and more room for the baby to get (and stay) in the proper position for birth.  The chiropractor does not touch the baby, but instead just facilitates it's environment so that it can move freely on it's own. (This is different from a Version or ECV in that they actually forcefully turn the baby under ultrasound and it's much harder on mom and baby.) I recommend finding a certified chiropractor and getting an adjustment if you are pregnant or about to become so.  They can help with back and joint pain, as well as just strengthening all those muscles/ligaments that need attention when a baby is weighing on your body.
2) Bradley birth technique - I learned about this 2 babies ago, and it has really helped me get through labor.  I didn't attend their classes, but just read the books and that was helpful enough.  Husband Coached Childbirth and Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way.  If you only want one book, the second one is much more useful in actual methods.  (or you can borrow them from me, when I get them back, as they are lent out right now).
3) Birthing ball - love this thing for exercising on before baby is born, as well as the comfort it gives during labor.  Would not go without it.  I'm also doing walking on the rebounder since it's easier than dragging 4 kids on a walk many days.
4) A competent midwife or doula - Although our midwife didn't make it here in time for Isaac's birth, I have confidence in her skills and abilities to intervene if problems should arise.  Having a doula in the hospital for our last birth there was well worth it too.  She was my advocate when I couldn't talk and also really helped Greg know how to help me.  In the hospital, you never know what kind of nurse or doctor you might get, so having someone who can advocate for you is priceless (in my opinion). 

New things I'm trying this time around:  
1) Spinning babies - this is full of exercises and explanations as to why babies have/cause difficult births and how you can avoid them.  Just chock full of good information
2) Gentle birth formula - herbs to assist with labor, delivery and nursing.  I've taken red raspberry tea with all the kids, as well as a pregnancy tea, so this is hopefully kind of the same thing.  I've heard good stuff about it, and our midwife says she's seen good results with it too.  (no false labor- just the real thing, more effective contractions, less bleeding, better milk supply after birth were her observations)
3) Eating dates - "Women who ate dates daily for the last several weeks of pregnancy were more dilated when labor began, less likely to need medication to get labor going, and their labor tended to be an average of seven hours shorter then the non-date eaters. The study found a compound in the dates that imitates oxytocin (which helps with labor)."  It can't hurt to try, since dates are yummy!
4) Eating more gelatin - Since most of the meat we eat is muscle meat, our society is drastically missing out on collagen/gelatin.  I've been trying to eat 1 Tbsp. each day, and have noticed way less stretch marks this time (actually disappearing rather than reappearing).  Wellness Mama (my favorite blog) has a great article on the benefits of it too.  I just add it to my green drink each day, but you could soften it in cold water first (just a couple Tbsp. of water, and then add your morning coffee to the cup and dissolve it too for an easy way to get it down.  Making homemade jello (with juice) is a more enjoyable way to eat it!

As far as baby stuff, our bassinet gave out recently (it was being used for a stuffed animal containment basket in the kids room) so I'm shopping for a new/used one.  We use one for the first part of the night, and then co-sleep the rest, depending on how tired/fussy/rested everyone is!  I know I could probably survive without one, but I do sleep best with a little more room for at least part of the night and I've loved having one in the past.

I read "The Happiest Baby on the Block" before Isaac was born and that was one of the best (of many, many!) books I've read.  Babywearing has also been a lifesaver (a wrap for newborns and and Ergo/mei tai for older babies).  Swaddling has been so helpful (those new kind with the velcro are awesome!)  Also, for older babies, I really like "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" for teaching babies to sleep on their own.

That's all I can think of for now...hoping and praying this birth goes nice and smooth.