Sometimes you just have to rave about things that you love. Today I'm going to do that. For anyone who cares to listen. There seems to be so many cheap, worthless items on the market (that obviously were never tested by real people), that when you find something amazing, fun, and affordable (even better if it's all of the above), you just have to say, "Hooray!"
# 1. Microfiber cloths. I just love them. There has been quite the rage about other brands that do amazing things, but I experimented with these Quickie brand ones (about $5 from Walmart) and now 1 1/2 years later am still happily using them. I just washed all the windows in my house (inside and out) with the blue window one, on a sunny day and no streaks. I do use a squeegee first on the outside just to slop water on and then get the most of it off so that my cloth doesn't get wet as fast. But, they are amazing. Save yourself a whole lot of money and just get this kind. (The added bonus is that your 6 year old can wash the windows without you worrying that he'll squirt himself in the eyes with Windex.) Both of the expensive brands tout that they disinfect as you wipe, but this brand likely does as well since I looked up what exactly "microfiber" is and does. It's a "grab-nabber" just in the way it's woven. Quickie is the major supplier for commercial cleaners all over this nation, so I think they're pretty reputable. I use vinegar as my backup disinfectant, and bleach on rare occasion (by rare I mean once or twice a year) and haven't had a lick of trouble. The other benefit is that they don't get smelly/yucky as fast as cotton dishcloths do (if you live in wet WA, you know what I mean), so I bought extra (at TJMaxx, but you can get them pretty much anywhere) and use them for dishcloths too. Yay!
# 2. Rechargeable batteries that actually hold a charge. These batteries came recommended in a magazine I read (I think it was Reader's Digest), so I decided to check them out for myself. Since I couldn't find any locally, I went to my good old friend http://www.amazon.com
There I found some, ordered them and have been extremely happy with them. Check out how they compare to other rechargeable batteries when you read up on them. They totally outshine all the other brands. We use them for countless kids toys, flashlights (that frequently get forgotten while left on), cd players, our camera and many more. Our camera only held a charge for 3 pictures with the old batteries, and now lasts probably 3-4 weeks with maybe 75-100 pictures per charge. I will admit our old rechargeables are getting pretty old. These have a guarantee on their life too (1500 charges, should you be keeping track!)
# 3. Coconut oil that doesn't break the bank. In our continual goal of eating healthier, we've been trying to use more coconut oil in our diet. It's one of those good oils that actually helps you lose weight and is great for healthy living. It also tastes pretty yummy. The only problem was that I could not find a cheap source for it. It was about $7 for a pint at our local grocer (organic). Then I was at our local Walmart the other day picking up supplies for a couple birthdays, and was going to get some shortening to make the frosting. Reading the ingredients on the shortening jar was disheartening, and I was thinking about how I could make it "healthier" when low and behold there is some coconut oil sitting right beside the shortening. I had an "aha" moment, and brought it home with us. I then looked up a recipe for buttercream frosting online which turned out amazing. (I took out the orange flavoring and just made it with vanilla, and also ended up adding quite a bit more cream than the recipe called for to get the right consistency.) The only drawback to frosting with coconut oil is that it turns liquid at 77*F (I think, it says on the jar). For those of you in a warm climate, your cake will have to stay in the fridge. Here in the colder areas, it was more trouble getting it warm enough to be spreadable. But, the bonus to it was that when I went to wash all my decorating bags and tips, the hot water just washed it all away, so soap or scrubbing were hardly needed. So, overall I was impressed. Next time I think I'll reduce the sugar called for, as it was very sweet. I just made granola with it in it and it is very good indeed. Yum, yum!
# 4. iPod touch. I hate to admit this one, since I was rather unsupportive of my husband when he wanted to get one. But I love that little gadget. The best app for it is hands down the white noise app. We have a baby whose preferred method of falling asleep is laying his head on your shoulder while you rock him in our bathroom with the loud, obnoxious fan going. So to get asleep when we're not home, or when the big kids are making lots of noise, or in the car...turn it on and almost guaranteed he's asleep in a flash. We also like the fact that it the iPod uses Wifi so there isn't a monthly fee like a phone would have. I also am able to read the Bible (no reference checking though :/ ) as well as other things while endlessly (it seems) nursing my baby. He (baby) gets distracted by the turning of pages while eating, so this is quiet enough. It's also small enough to hold in one hand when you only have one available. So yes, reluctantly it's on the list too. Magazines still trump for bath time reading though, which is where the majority of my reading in this stage of life occurs (thank you, sweet husband).