Last spring I wrote a post about the negative aspects of high fructose corn syrup. I fully intended to follow it up with a post on what sugars you should look for instead, and how to recognize good from bad. It didn't happen (I never had time to do the research required). But, my favorite blogger did. So, I'm posting the link to her blog, which tells about all the different ones, and hopefully it'll be of use to you. Since recently reading Nourishing Traditions, I know that this is where she got most of her information. She also mentions that if you can't find substitutes (or aren't willing to pay a little extra) then you'd be better off just reducing your intake. The average American eats 175 lbs of sugar every year. That is compared to 2 lbs recorded in the early 1800's. I'm sure we could all reduce our overall intake, and our health would increase for the better.

One thing she doesn't mention, is that brown sugar in the store is just as processed as white sugar. They just add molasses back to it after to get the brown color. I was disappointed to find that out, in yet when I read my package in the cupboard I found "ingredients: cane sugar, molasses". :(
Here's the HFCS one, in case you've forgotten what it said:
http://somerosaga.blogspot.com/2010/03/high-fructose-corn-syrup-exposed.html
Explanation of sweeteners:
http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2008/09/my-favorite-natural-sweeteners.html
One thing she doesn't mention, is that brown sugar in the store is just as processed as white sugar. They just add molasses back to it after to get the brown color. I was disappointed to find that out, in yet when I read my package in the cupboard I found "ingredients: cane sugar, molasses". :(
Here's the HFCS one, in case you've forgotten what it said:
http://somerosaga.blogspot.com/2010/03/high-fructose-corn-syrup-exposed.html
Explanation of sweeteners:
http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2008/09/my-favorite-natural-sweeteners.html