One thought that has run through my head frequently, that I'd like to share with you, is how important mundane chores are. In this world we live in, we'd all love to get a massage, relax in a hot tub, or find a sport that relaxes our mind and refreshes our body (me included). While these are all well and good, often we overlook the obvious, and even complain about them.
If we look at the happiest people in the world, most of them have nothing by material standards. But, they cherish the things that matter. God, family, food, shelter, clothing and the basics. They have to work hard just to live, when we complain so often about the perks and pluses of the abundant life we lead. We often take the basics for granted, and gripe that we have to "make" our food, "maintain" our houses and "wash" our many clothes. Yep, I do that too, regretfully. One quote I heard recently said something to the effect of "if you can't take a few hours out of your week to prepare nutritious meals for your family, then you really need to reevaluate your priorities." I have to say I'm guilty of flying-by-my-seat when it comes to meal planning, but I know that we eat a lot more nutritiously and cheaply when I take the time to plan ahead. And I don't get as stressed overall.
The point that I'm getting to is, that these mundane tasks are what refresh us the most. There is nothing that clears your head like folding a mountain of laundry. Or washing a huge pile of dishes. Or thoughtfully putting cookie after cookie on a cookie sheet and seeing them all lined up in a row when you're done. Although I would never want to trade in my automatic dishwasher or washing machine, I am secretly glad that there are still some chores that require no thought other than taking the time to get them done. This gives me time to pray (which we are to do without ceasing, and it's pretty hard to do if you are talking, listening to music, TV is on, etc.) and to meditate what God wants for my life and how to go about achieving it.
This weekend we had beautiful weather, which gave me the opportunity to hang all my wet laundry on my clothes line. That...was therapy. If you don't have a clothes line, get yourself one! Even a drying rack outside (or inside, which is how I often have to use it in rainy WA) is just about as good. I have one friend who isn't on facebook, because she likes to hang dry her clothes, and figured it out that the time she would spend on facebook she could be hanging out clothes each day. And much more therapeutic too! Very true, although I haven't been able to give up facebook yet! (side note benefit of hanging laundry: about $50 a month was saved by another friend when she switched to hang drying!)
Picture is of Woof Woof, Snuggle Monkey and Cuddle Bear after their "bath" in the washer! (in order of ownership -L, J, E)

Jobs that I am blessed to do which I classify as "therapeutic" due to their monotony: hanging laundry, folding laundry, washing dishes, baking bread, mowing lawn, berry picking, weeding the garden, stirring the soup pot. This is, of course if you don't have a crying baby to tend to while trying to get them done, or whining toddler hanging on your leg. Then, not so fun! But, try one today and just let that phone ring. I think you'll see how much better you feel. And remember to thank God for them, and the ability to do them too!
Another added bonus is the benefit it has on your family. These chores give your family a sense of accomplishment when the job is done which builds self-confidence. It gives you time to discuss the matters on your heart or mind that day, and what the proper response as a Christian should be. It gives you time to teach your children about hard work and trains them to be a good employee someday. It also teaches a child patience over instant gratification. Weeding the garden shows how to tell the difference between weeds and vegetables. It teaches them about the plant life cycles and the need all living things have for water and nutrients. There is so much that can be taught while doing these mundane chores. And last but not least, it provides the quality and quantity time with them (both in one shot), that they so need!
The point that I'm getting to is, that these mundane tasks are what refresh us the most. There is nothing that clears your head like folding a mountain of laundry. Or washing a huge pile of dishes. Or thoughtfully putting cookie after cookie on a cookie sheet and seeing them all lined up in a row when you're done. Although I would never want to trade in my automatic dishwasher or washing machine, I am secretly glad that there are still some chores that require no thought other than taking the time to get them done. This gives me time to pray (which we are to do without ceasing, and it's pretty hard to do if you are talking, listening to music, TV is on, etc.) and to meditate what God wants for my life and how to go about achieving it.
This weekend we had beautiful weather, which gave me the opportunity to hang all my wet laundry on my clothes line. That...was therapy. If you don't have a clothes line, get yourself one! Even a drying rack outside (or inside, which is how I often have to use it in rainy WA) is just about as good. I have one friend who isn't on facebook, because she likes to hang dry her clothes, and figured it out that the time she would spend on facebook she could be hanging out clothes each day. And much more therapeutic too! Very true, although I haven't been able to give up facebook yet! (side note benefit of hanging laundry: about $50 a month was saved by another friend when she switched to hang drying!)
Picture is of Woof Woof, Snuggle Monkey and Cuddle Bear after their "bath" in the washer! (in order of ownership -L, J, E)

Jobs that I am blessed to do which I classify as "therapeutic" due to their monotony: hanging laundry, folding laundry, washing dishes, baking bread, mowing lawn, berry picking, weeding the garden, stirring the soup pot. This is, of course if you don't have a crying baby to tend to while trying to get them done, or whining toddler hanging on your leg. Then, not so fun! But, try one today and just let that phone ring. I think you'll see how much better you feel. And remember to thank God for them, and the ability to do them too!
Another added bonus is the benefit it has on your family. These chores give your family a sense of accomplishment when the job is done which builds self-confidence. It gives you time to discuss the matters on your heart or mind that day, and what the proper response as a Christian should be. It gives you time to teach your children about hard work and trains them to be a good employee someday. It also teaches a child patience over instant gratification. Weeding the garden shows how to tell the difference between weeds and vegetables. It teaches them about the plant life cycles and the need all living things have for water and nutrients. There is so much that can be taught while doing these mundane chores. And last but not least, it provides the quality and quantity time with them (both in one shot), that they so need!