Friday, October 17, 2008

The Pleasure of Soup

While we still lived in Arizona, and I was dragging my feet to move up here due to the long dreary winters, Greg reminded me that one plus would be the amount of days that I could make soup. He loves to eat it, and I love to make and eat it, so it all works out for us. So, we moved up here, and I started exploring the options of soup. In Arizona you make chili, maybe once a year (it just isn't the same on a warm day), and the opportunities for experiementing just didn't happen. I didn't really cook much in my life before then, although Alberta and Alaska would have been perfect for soup too. Today as I was heating up leftover soup for lunch, I again (as I do everytime I eat soup) pondered what makes it so wonderful. Leftover soup has the added benefit of the blending of flavors, and the heat just seems to warm your soul right down to the core. There are so many types of soup, that I love experimenting with each style and it seems you just can never go wrong, no matter how many things you add or subtract (within reason of course). Soup is also often cheap to make, and the smell as it simmers in the slow cooker all day can't be beat. It makes it taste all the better at supper time. Homemade bread is best with it, but usually I don't have any so biscuits suffice well. Everytime I try I new soup, I declare it my favorite (this week it's Kendra's bean soup in the Kurtti cookbook, with my own garden veggies added) and then the next time I try another new one, it becomes my favorite. So, despite the coming of the rain this season, I look forward to hundreds of heartwarming bowls of soup, each one special in it's own way.