Monday, October 20, 2008
Love Makes the World Go 'Round
Yesterday we attended a gathering with church members, and the topic was "what helps or hurts human relationships?" Many people gave very helpful information, and I thought I'll share it, as a reminder to us how important our actions, words, and even "Christian image" are when we relate to others in the Christian and secular world. The first thing is of course, the Golden Rule. Do to others as you would have them do to you. This is our best way of healthy relationships. Along with that is putting the best construction on others, and assuming the best of them, rather than assuming the worst, getting our feelings hurt and stewing about our hurts to everyone except the person who (perhaps unintentionally) hurt us. The next is, if we have a problem with someone, or something someone said, we need to pray for them for love and forgiveness, and then either go to them and seek to make things right, or let it go and forgive them. (it's hard to stay mad/hurt when you instead spend that time in prayer) Being aware of what we say is also important. I've found that moving to a new place has really caused me to watch my words, because I often say things that are misinterpreted because people don't know when I'm kidding, being sarcastic or serious. This has caused confusion for me, because I'm just being me, but have hurt people unintentionally in the process. The last thing I can remember from the discussion is to love each other unconditionally as Christ loved us. Love those who are not easy to love, love those who have caused you pain, treat everyone with love even though you may not want to. "Love covers a multitude of sins", as we all desire to be loved, no matter of our past or present sins. One more thing...give compliments. They make everyone feel better and a meaningful compliment goes a long way... as I stated in my "Country Village lady" blog.