Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Luke turns 9

Having cake in his pajamas
So this big guy is now 9.  He actually had his birthday in May, but I'm still late at updating.  Every year I tell him that he can't turn another year older, but he still does.  He's big enough now that I can hardly remember him as that tiny little baby he once was.  He's also moved past little boy stage, and now is getting into big boy territory.  In this past year he has matured so much.  It makes me giddy with excitement (he takes out the garbage to the road and does dishes proficiently!) but it's also hard on a mama's heart.

I don't want to brag, but sometimes I can't help it and since this is about him, I'm going to!  It's actually kind of  a mixed bag, because all of Luke's good qualties are those that often get overlooked in our busy, "look at me" world.  They are things like his thoughtfulness, gentleness, patience, a great listener, a respectful leader (not pushy).  I feel so blessed that we have such a responsible young man growing up, and can't wait to see his personality shine through more and more.

He loves doing projects and crafts.  Inventing things, fixing things, refurbishing things and improving things in one way or another.  He soaks up information from books, his Dad, myself and whoever is teaching/talking at the moment.  He loves listening in on adult conversations to learn something new.  I remember doing that as a kid too, and so totally understand it (although it can be kind of annoying if a conversation is private).

Reading is his other favorite pasttime.  He can remember what book he reads information in, and can usually go straight to the book and page to find the information he is recalling.  It helps that he's read books over and over and over again.  He does read super fast too, so likely misses a lot of information so gets new info each time!  He likes mysteries, animal stories, space information, how-to's most of all.  We've been getting more audio books which have been a fun change.  
I think he's finally outgrowing Thomas the train.  I didn't think he ever would!  He's been in love with him since that first pair of shoes when he was 18 months old.  He still loves trains, and wants a career in transportation (either an engineer, pilot, truck driver or something like that).  They all appeal to him, so he's not sure what he'd like the most.
Here's a selfie he took.  He likes to use the camera to show me things he builds or how clean a room he's been cleaning is.  He usually takes 100 pictures where 2 or 3 would have been sufficient!

Anyhow, Greg and I were just talking about how Luke is such a blessing in our family, in yet because he's not the "squeaky wheel", his attributes often get overlooked.  He needs us to draw him out more, but there's a gold mine in there when we do!

He even came face to face with a young buck the other day in our driveway and wasn't hardly scared.  He ran out to check the mail and a deer happened to be walking through our yard at the exact time.  They both scared each other, but he kept on running to get the mail.  The deer bounded off, but he said they came within a couple feet of each other.  He thought it was rather exciting!

We love you so much, Luke Wesley!