I've wanted to write an update for a while, but with 4 kids, it seems like it never gets to the top of the priority list. In the evening after everyone is in bed would be an ideal time, but I tend to get cynical and a bit too opinionated to write in an unbiased form. Today I'm home from church by myself with a sickish baby, so I have a bit of peace and quiet. So, here's what we've been up to this winter so far.
Tending to babies. Isaac is now 5 months and is growing healthy and strong. He's got a cold/cough right now that I'm hoping is on it's way out, but other than that is his cheerful self. He was having some teething pain, but a friend lent us an amber teething necklace which seems to have made the symptoms disappear. Highly recommend!
Homeschooling. Luke is plugging away at his 3R's and doing great with them. James is sounding out words and asking how to spell lots of things. Elise is well...getting better at being obedient overall.
Reading. Although I don't have much time to read, I did get and borrow some books I've been trying to get through. In no particular order here's what I've been reading, along with my regular Better Homes and Gardens, Sunset and Reader's Digest.
Be Fruitful and Multiply by Nancy Campbell
Basically letting God be your family planning guide, not societal norms or our own limited human understanding. Understanding that the Bible reiterates that the main reason for marriage is for the expansion of His kingdom, not our own pleasure/enjoyment (although they come after we've been obedient to His first commands). Hundreds of Bible verses which state such truths.
The Maker's Diet by Jordan Rubin
O.K. Just finished this book, and it is awesome. I've read lots of health/nutrition books, and this one sums up what all the other ones give bits and pieces of. This goes back to the Bible and the laws God gave of what we should eat and how we should eat it. It's also in a doable form, rather than complex/expensive/confusing recipes that no one in their right mind can do. This gives a 40 day plan for getting back on track, and then you just follow it to maintain that lifestyle. It inspired us to again work on getting our own goats, so we can have a larger supply of raw goats milk, which is good in every way! The hardest will likely be giving up pork. It's just sooo good! (giving up ostrich and emu will likely not be as challenging) He also has a section on essential oils and herbs and how to incorporate them into your daily life. He healed himself from Crohn's disease with this diet, after being 6'1" and 104 lbs and almost dead.
Setting Their Hope in God by Andrew Case
I've been looking for a book that helps me better pray for my children, as it seems I just pray the same thing over and over, and I was wanting something that expanded that. This book was recommended on a blog I read and is great, as all the prayers come straight from Scripture. I'm not real far into it yet, but have been satisfied thus far.
Homeschool Your Child for Free by LauraMaery Gold
I've had this book for a while, but opened it again for inspiration. I'm convinced that I do not need to spend hundreds (or thousands) of dollars on curriculum for our children. Tons of free options out there. I did spend the money on a library card a couple weeks ago, as we can't get free ones since we live out of city limits. So, instead of totally free, we're at cheap!
Raising Godly Tomatoes by L. Elizabeth Kreuger
As mentioned in my previous post, I love this site and this book. It's the most effective, straightforward child rearing book I've come across. And it works. Everything I've tried in it works. She also deals consistently with heart matters rather than just correcting behavior. Knowing the motives and intentions is most times more effective than just correcting the behavior at hand.
So that's what I've been reading. I'd love to have a bit of Francine Rivers thrown in too, but don't have any on hand. Guess it'll just be non-fiction this stage of the game.
Well, lunch is ready and the family just showed up, so I'll close up for today.
Tending to babies. Isaac is now 5 months and is growing healthy and strong. He's got a cold/cough right now that I'm hoping is on it's way out, but other than that is his cheerful self. He was having some teething pain, but a friend lent us an amber teething necklace which seems to have made the symptoms disappear. Highly recommend!
Homeschooling. Luke is plugging away at his 3R's and doing great with them. James is sounding out words and asking how to spell lots of things. Elise is well...getting better at being obedient overall.
Reading. Although I don't have much time to read, I did get and borrow some books I've been trying to get through. In no particular order here's what I've been reading, along with my regular Better Homes and Gardens, Sunset and Reader's Digest.
Be Fruitful and Multiply by Nancy Campbell
Basically letting God be your family planning guide, not societal norms or our own limited human understanding. Understanding that the Bible reiterates that the main reason for marriage is for the expansion of His kingdom, not our own pleasure/enjoyment (although they come after we've been obedient to His first commands). Hundreds of Bible verses which state such truths.
The Maker's Diet by Jordan Rubin
O.K. Just finished this book, and it is awesome. I've read lots of health/nutrition books, and this one sums up what all the other ones give bits and pieces of. This goes back to the Bible and the laws God gave of what we should eat and how we should eat it. It's also in a doable form, rather than complex/expensive/confusing recipes that no one in their right mind can do. This gives a 40 day plan for getting back on track, and then you just follow it to maintain that lifestyle. It inspired us to again work on getting our own goats, so we can have a larger supply of raw goats milk, which is good in every way! The hardest will likely be giving up pork. It's just sooo good! (giving up ostrich and emu will likely not be as challenging) He also has a section on essential oils and herbs and how to incorporate them into your daily life. He healed himself from Crohn's disease with this diet, after being 6'1" and 104 lbs and almost dead.
Setting Their Hope in God by Andrew Case
I've been looking for a book that helps me better pray for my children, as it seems I just pray the same thing over and over, and I was wanting something that expanded that. This book was recommended on a blog I read and is great, as all the prayers come straight from Scripture. I'm not real far into it yet, but have been satisfied thus far.
Homeschool Your Child for Free by LauraMaery Gold
I've had this book for a while, but opened it again for inspiration. I'm convinced that I do not need to spend hundreds (or thousands) of dollars on curriculum for our children. Tons of free options out there. I did spend the money on a library card a couple weeks ago, as we can't get free ones since we live out of city limits. So, instead of totally free, we're at cheap!
Raising Godly Tomatoes by L. Elizabeth Kreuger
As mentioned in my previous post, I love this site and this book. It's the most effective, straightforward child rearing book I've come across. And it works. Everything I've tried in it works. She also deals consistently with heart matters rather than just correcting behavior. Knowing the motives and intentions is most times more effective than just correcting the behavior at hand.
So that's what I've been reading. I'd love to have a bit of Francine Rivers thrown in too, but don't have any on hand. Guess it'll just be non-fiction this stage of the game.
Well, lunch is ready and the family just showed up, so I'll close up for today.