I made this soup a couple weeks ago, and it turned out awesome!! Since we're trying to limit dairy, I wanted something that would use little-to-none, rather than many cups of milk to make it creamy. I ended up adding a cup of whole milk at the end just to get the right consistency, but it would have tasted just as good with none. The kids are drinking raw goat milk these days, but it's pretty expensive, so I try to give it to them in more metered doses rather than using a whole jug up in soup! I also did it in my new Dutch oven that I got for Christmas. I love, love, love that thing!

8 baking potatoes (preferably organic, as you eat the skins)
1 head cauliflower
2-3 stalks of kale, chopped finely (optional)
1/2 onion, chopped finely
1 cup milk/cream
1/2 pack of bacon (1/2 lb, I think)
3-4 c. broth (chicken, beef or veggie)
3 green onions or handful of chives
shredded cheese
sour cream
Bake your potatoes in the oven in their skins (no foil) after scrubbing clean. (About an hour at 350*F). Set aside to cool slightly (so you can handle them). While they are baking, fry your bacon in the Dutch oven. Remove from pan and drain most of the drippings. In the remaining bacon drippings, saute 1/2 onion until translucent. (med heat) Add broth and bring to a boil. Chop your cauliflower coarsely and add to boiling broth. While the cauliflower is cooking, slice your potatoes open and scoop out the flesh. Collect it all to add back into the soup. When cauliflower is almost done, add your potatoes. Simmer and then add kale 5 minutes before serving. Right before serving, either mash up any chunks with an immersion blender or potato masher (depending if you want the soup chunky or smooth). Add milk or cream to get it to the consistency you like. While the soup is simmering, chop your potato skins into bite size pieces and put on a baking sheet and place back in the oven to crisp up. To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with potato skins, bacon bits, green onions, cheese and sour cream according to your likings.
We've been trying to get more veggies in our diet, and kale is one of the ones I've been adding to soups and then blending it. I like it because it's packed with vitamins (especially vitamin K), and doesn't get mushy like some other greens do. I add it so it's in there just long enough to soften it slightly before serving.

8 baking potatoes (preferably organic, as you eat the skins)
1 head cauliflower
2-3 stalks of kale, chopped finely (optional)
1/2 onion, chopped finely
1 cup milk/cream
1/2 pack of bacon (1/2 lb, I think)
3-4 c. broth (chicken, beef or veggie)
3 green onions or handful of chives
shredded cheese
sour cream
Bake your potatoes in the oven in their skins (no foil) after scrubbing clean. (About an hour at 350*F). Set aside to cool slightly (so you can handle them). While they are baking, fry your bacon in the Dutch oven. Remove from pan and drain most of the drippings. In the remaining bacon drippings, saute 1/2 onion until translucent. (med heat) Add broth and bring to a boil. Chop your cauliflower coarsely and add to boiling broth. While the cauliflower is cooking, slice your potatoes open and scoop out the flesh. Collect it all to add back into the soup. When cauliflower is almost done, add your potatoes. Simmer and then add kale 5 minutes before serving. Right before serving, either mash up any chunks with an immersion blender or potato masher (depending if you want the soup chunky or smooth). Add milk or cream to get it to the consistency you like. While the soup is simmering, chop your potato skins into bite size pieces and put on a baking sheet and place back in the oven to crisp up. To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with potato skins, bacon bits, green onions, cheese and sour cream according to your likings.
We've been trying to get more veggies in our diet, and kale is one of the ones I've been adding to soups and then blending it. I like it because it's packed with vitamins (especially vitamin K), and doesn't get mushy like some other greens do. I add it so it's in there just long enough to soften it slightly before serving.